Filling the empty nest, need her a rifle

This is a discussion on Filling the empty nest, need her a rifle within the Guns & Ammo forums, part of the Tools of the Trade category; So, empty nesting and my wife decides she is going to learn to hunt. She has a Marlin 60 and a 783 and loves both ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Filling the empty nest, need her a rifle

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times

So, empty nesting and my wife decides she is going to learn to hunt. She has a Marlin 60 and a 783 and loves both and has listened and followed directions well out to 100 yards, we are going to try a different range soon for further and varied distances. All is great on that front. She has also gotten better at the Remington 870 Magnum Express 20 Gauge. But, all 3 are smaller rifles, compact, youth models. I find them all too short.

She has tried my Lever 30-30, 6.5CM Bolt, Pump 12 Gauge, as well as Breech loading 410 and 20 Gauge, the 30-30 and 12 Guage she doesn't like. She likes the 6.5 though, and it is a full length rifle that my 6'2" frame enjoys.

This fall we have a new place to hunt, *distances will range from 35 yards to 384 yards. Now, I personally try and stay under 300, but I have taken game further. Her, time will tell how confident she feels. So, deer rifles…..

Oh, and the important part, she has set her budget around $500 for everything. Originally she wanted $250 and I had her go to Bass Pro with me (higher prices to lessen the final sticker shock) and she doubled it.

What would you recommend? She like "older looking" wood and blued metal. But she also has a turquoise and stainless 9mm that she calls pretty. So, what caliber and package?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    774 times
    .243win as far as makes and models there are a lot of good ones out there for the money and on a budget

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    .308 has better bullet choice. To me the .243 is more of a varmint gun.
    kwaynem likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2254 times
    A .243 has taken lots of deer. It’s my primary deer cartridge now. I think bullet selection makes the difference in how effective it performs on deer sized game.
    If you don’t reload, I’d stay with a more popular caliber for ammo availability.
    kwaynem and Bird (this time) like this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    416 Rigby?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2254 times
    Quote Originally Posted by murphranch View Post
    416 Rigby?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    My Savage Smokeless MZ shoots a bullet the same weight and same velocity as the 416 Rigby. It's not pleasant to shoot.
    Bird (this time) likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1824 times
    .308 is a nice choice. My kids love it. I was hitting steel at 560y with factory Rem ammo this past week with it. On the other hand I hit steel at 1,007y with my 7mm and factory Rem ammo. I too would limit my shots to 300y. Still fun to long range plink.
    Last edited by Bullbuster; 07-04-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    kwaynem and dennishoddy like this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    Have a 30-06 and love it. It is very reliable.
    kwaynem likes this.
    U.S. ARMY (Retired)
    I love to hunt and fish and most of all spending time with my family after I get home from hunting and fishing.

Founder of the Wichita Mountain Waterfowlers established 2012.

Member #
    Liked
    941 times
    How about another 6.5 CM in a stock that fits her? That way the logistics of ammo is simplified, 1 box for the both of ya. Maybe a 6.5 CM in an AR platform with adjustable stock?
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    774 times
    I sold my 6.5 creedmoor going to get another .243 but I’ll be deer hunting with my .270
    Bird (this time) and rswink like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast