Your all time favorite rifle

This is a discussion on Your all time favorite rifle within the Guns & Ammo forums, part of the Tools of the Trade category; I've had the pleasure to work years ago building/tuning long range rifles and selling them for a living, mainly 50 bmg's. I have owned probably ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Your all time favorite rifle

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

I've had the pleasure to work years ago building/tuning long range rifles and selling them for a living, mainly 50 bmg's. I have owned probably 100 or more rifles during my life. So thinking back to what was my favorite rifle of all time I narrowed it down to 2 rifles, A really nice Glenfield 30A 30-30 my mom bought me when I was 14 that I killed my first buck with so it was special for that reason & a CZ 527 American in 221 Fireball that was just crazy accurate, super light & just never let me miss, I bet it killed a freight train full of coyotes over the years with that thing. That got me to wondering what everyone else's favorite rifle was?
    dennishoddy likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2811 times
    That's a tough question. Own everything from single shots, lever guns, bolt guns, semi auto's, and one pump rifle.

If going after big game bigger than whitetail, it would have to be the Browning Stainless Stalker in 30-06. Still a big fan of that caliber even though it's not mentioned much anymore. I compare all of these new metric calibers against it, and very few can exceed the velocity with any bullet.

Pretty much exclusive hunting white tail now with the .243 WSSM in the AR platform. Speed kills and that caliber can generate the speed although occasionally break out the .300 Savage or .270 Win just so they don't become safe queens.

The AR platform has to be my favorite in retrospect. Anytime going to the farm, the other platforms pretty much stay in the safe. Accurate and reliable.

The .221 fireball interests me. Short action cartridge I'm sure. More info? I like small caliber hyper-fast rounds.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Mr. Hoddy
    What kind of barrel life do you expect out of your .243 wssm? Speed kills like you saod and that is one hot round. Didnt know hey had that on an AR platform.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1342 times
    Winchester Model 60 in 223 that I got when I was in 8th grade. It’s retired now. Barrel is almost as smooth as a shotgun from all the rounds I shot through it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2084 times
    I too have shot a lot of different guns over the years. My dream rifle is the 300 savage and someday I’ll own one. But I really love black powder shooting more than anything. But if I had to pic one it would be the .308 and my FNAR. Just an all around awesome shooting gun that everyone in the family can handle.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    1218 times
    Generally, my favorite rifle is the one in my hands at the time. I don't know if I could pick just one. If it's a "you can only have one gun" then I'd go with an AR in 6.8 SPC for the range of bullet choices and due to my shoulder, I fit the AR platform better than a traditional stock now days. If the decision is just an emotional one, then it's my Ruger M77 in .270 Win ....nope it'd be my Marlin 336 in 30-30...naw it has to be .........
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    2811 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Sits In The Woods View Post
    Mr. Hoddy
    What kind of barrel life do you expect out of your .243 wssm? Speed kills like you said and that is one hot round. Didn't know hey had that on an AR platform.
    Before the first rifle hit the market the wise old sages were predicting a barrel burner and Winchester marketed it in a bolt gun. The feed ramps of the bolt guns didn't like the sharp shoulders of the WSSM round and that caused a lot of criticism. On the other hand the feed ramps of the AR platform are perfectly suited for the cartridge. Had the WSSM been introduced initially in the AR platform, it would likely be a popular round to this day. There is a growing interest in it though with renewed popularity of the 6mm in long range shooting. Winchester is actually producing brass for it again.
    As far as being a barrel burner, its not. Winchester did some testing back in the day showing very little erosion of the throat or rifling after 4000 rounds. I'll never shoot that many rounds.
    Actually have two. One in a 1:12 twist for 55 grain bullets that run 4170 fps across the chronograph, and the other is a 1:8 twist for the 100 grain bullets that run just under 3400 fps. I've got some 85 grain Barnes bullets to try. I'm hoping they will exceed 3600 fps and be deadly on deer.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Mr. Hoddy
    They will never see it coming.
    I temd to lean toward birds response however lile Murphrach ive got gun that means the world to me and it is a marlin 336 in 30-30
    I dont think theres a dollar amount that could pay for the memories welded to this rifle i can still see her face when she gave it to me and hear our kids pounding footsteps in the hallway that christmas morning.

Member #
    Liked
    449 times
    My favorite rifle is my Dad's Savage 110 30-06 that It got him for Christmas back in 1985. It is mine now and it still shoots like a charm.
    U.S. ARMY (Retired)
    I love to hunt and fish and most of all spending time with my family after I get home from hunting and fishing.

Founder of the Wichita Mountain Waterfowlers established 2012.

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    "
    The .221 fireball interests me. Short action cartridge I'm sure. More info? I like small caliber hyper-fast rounds "

The 221 was designed for the ol Remington bolt action pistols xp's I think they called them. There is a plethora of rumors from the 60's surrounding the cartridge from stories that the C.I.A. was instrumental in it's design for an assassin's cartridge coupled with the Remington bolt action pistols to stories of the "shooter on the grassy knoll" being armed with one. Can't say if any of it's true but I can say it's based off the 222 Remington which as you probably know was the winningest benchrest cartridge until the ppc family came along. It is an excellent mid range coyote killer & makes an ideal prairie dog cartridge. Loaded with lil gun or other similar powders it can come close to 223 velocities. I love small cartridges these days and actively watch keep an eye out for another 221 in a CZ
    dennishoddy likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast