Shooting Suppressed

Shooting Suppressed

This is a discussion on Shooting Suppressed within the Guns & Ammo forums, part of the Tools of the Trade category; Got a Suppressor a couple of weeks ago and haven't really spent a lot of time with it until today. Unfortunately didn't take pics. Took ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Shooting Suppressed

Member #
    Liked
    2487 times

Shooting Suppressed

Got a Suppressor a couple of weeks ago and haven't really spent a lot of time with it until today. Unfortunately didn't take pics.
    Took a new 5.56 Stainless upper with a 1:8 twist and Wylde chambered as well as a Browning Stainless Stalker bolt gun in 30-06 that is my elk rifle.
    Started with the AR, two different brands of ammo in 62 grain and reloads in 55 grain. All FMJ boat tail bullets.
    Tried all three ammo types and could not get a group. Nothing even consistent. I'd get two touching and one flyer an inch and a half away. One flyer high, another left, another low. No rhyme or reason to what was going on.
    Removed the suppressor, put the birdcage flash suppressor back on and got groups well under 1 MOA consistently. Don't know for sure, but I suspect the can is having something to do with the barrel harmonics. I'll try it again later. Have a cover ordered for the can to reduce the mirage when it gets hot. It's in, but won't get it until tomorrow, so the added weight might change the harmonics and improve it? Don't know.
    On the other hand, the 30-06 loved the can. Sierra 165 grain Hollow point boat tails were Sub MOA and the recoil was reduced by 30% or more. Ran 30 rounds through it with 3 shot groups remaining tight even with a hot barrel.

I know a couple others on here have suppressed rifles. Anyone having the problems I did with the AR platform?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Tracker
    Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    How much quieter did it make your Browning?

Member #
    Liked
    1019 times
    Which can did you get? On my 6.8 with the Harvester can, it lowered the impact point 1.5" but still groups well. Haven't gotten my .223 barrel threaded yet to see what it will do.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2487 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Sits In The Woods View Post
    How much quieter did it make your Browning?
    I still use muffs for sustained shooting sessions but it’s significantly quieter.
    Bird (this time) likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Member #
    Liked
    2487 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird (this time) View Post
    Which can did you get? On my 6.8 with the Harvester can, it lowered the impact point 1.5" but still groups well. Haven't gotten my .223 barrel threaded yet to see what it will do.
    I got the SilencerCo Harvester. It lowered my POI about the same as yours.

Member #
    Liked
    1019 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    I still use muffs for sustained shooting sessions but it’s significantly quieter.
    Same here on the muffs and I can turn my gas block off, making my AR basically a single shot, and it's a lot quieter keeping that bolt closed!
    dennishoddy likes this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Member #
    Liked
    2487 times
    Went back out to the range today with the .243 WSSM. 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip running 4170 FPS. It likes to be suppressed.
    At 100 yds a 1/2” group was easy to maintain.

Had two rounds left and moved to the 300 yard range. 2 shot group under an inch.

Bird (this time) likes this.

Tracker
    Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    Good shootin! Really nice looking range
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1019 times
    Nice shoot mister, like that rifle, too.
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1917 times
    I hit a 12” gong at 300y twice with a Glock 19 9mm last week. Took me about 30 shots to do it lol. I got no AR or suppressor stories so....
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast