Swapping Gun Parts is like a box of chocolates... - Page 3

Swapping Gun Parts is like a box of chocolates...

This is a discussion on Swapping Gun Parts is like a box of chocolates... within the Guns & Ammo forums, part of the Tools of the Trade category; Y'all won't believe this! So obviously I've been wheeling and dealing lately and have had some hiccups along the way. Well, here we go again. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Swapping Gun Parts is like a box of chocolates...

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    Y'all won't believe this!
    So obviously I've been wheeling and dealing lately and have had some hiccups along the way. Well, here we go again. I traded for a Ruger American Rifle recently. I wanted something lighter and compact and this fit the bill nicely. Also, I've already got a Ruger American in 450 bushmaster and love it, so I figured adding another one couldn't hurt.

Anyways, the rifle is advertised as new, never fired, and appeared so at the meet. I took it home and put it in the safe, but something was telling me to go ahead and mount a scope to it before I tuck it away. Well, I mounted a trusty scope and rings I've used on other rifles and attempted to boresight it. Well, my boresight tool was barely in the field of view, initially, and then I ended up running out of windage adjustment before I ever hit center.

I thought this was extremely odd and thought maybe I didn't mount the rings correctly. I dismounted, rotated, remounted the rings and same problem. I persisted trying 4 more sets of rings and never got close to boresighted. I even took the boresight tool off and tried the old fashioned, look through the bore method, STILL OFF.

Then I looked at the scope base, eyeballing it looked on. Then I looked up a way to check the square with a level, square tool, and calipers. As best as I could tell, the scope base was straight. Then I started searching online and I found one post concerning a Ruger M77 and a guy had a similar problem and the very first suggestion was a crooked barrel. Instant pucker factor. What the heck did I just get myself in to?!

Upon further investigation, the barrel is obviously pointing to the right in relation to the receiver. After measuring to confirm this, I could actually eyeball it looking down the bore with the bolt removed from the receiver.

Naturally, I reached out to the guy I traded with immediately, this was two days after the trade. I let him know what was wrong and asked to trade back. He already traded off my rifle! Although he didn't actually say no to taking the rifle back, he was insistent and persistent that Ruger should fix it since it was a manufacturing/assembly issue. He offered me about half the rifle's worth in cash just in case Ruger wouldn't fix it or charged me to fix it. Because I knew our transaction was "as-is" with no implied warranties, I figure this was better than just being stuck with a worthless rifle. I met him and he gave me the cash and he apologized profusely, as he had not known the rifle had a crooked barrel until I discovered it.

I shipped it off to Ruger after I nice chat with customer service. They agreed to inspect it for free, but made no promises on what the outcome might be. It should arrive at Ruger Wednesday of this week and I'm hoping to get good news.

So I'm basically done trading for a while. Got burned twice in a row. However, I'm curious to see how Ruger's customer service will pull through and to actually find out how a barrel left that factory crooked in the first place. I'll report back when I hear anything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    The part about apologizing profusely and then only offering 1/2 back would’ve made me want to put a boot in his a#$ even if the trade was as is. Hate to hear the bad news. I hope Ruger gets back with you soon. I’ve heard some good things/bad things about their turnaround time. Good luck. Would you be interested in a Tri-star 12 gauge auto that sometimes throws the firing pin out with the spent shell casing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bird (this time) likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    Quote Originally Posted by murphranch View Post
    Would you be interested in a Tri-star 12 gauge auto that sometimes throws the firing pin out with the spent shell casing?
    HAHA. Since I seem to be buying up all the misfit toys, sure. How does full retail price sound? lol jk

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    If you dont buy it i will hahahaha

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Those tristars any good outside of yours?

Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Sits In The Woods View Post
    Those tristars any good outside of yours?
    Turkish made working mans boat paddle or trot line weight sums up my opinion of them.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    3276 times
    Quote Originally Posted by murphranch View Post
    Turkish made working mans boat paddle or trot line weight sums up my opinion of them.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    My opinion as well.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1449 times
    Hey Bull, what was your Turkish gun?
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    So Ruger has received the rifle this morning. I got a confirmation email from their service dept that the rifle had been received and they will begin "investigating my complaint" as soon as possible. I thought it was interesting they advised me their typical response time is within a week. We'll see if they deliver, but the last time I was going to send a gun back to a manufacturer it was to Marlin, to refinish the barrel and they told me 8-12 weeks so I just never sent it back. One week seems incredibly quick to me.

Member #
    Liked
    3276 times
    Good deal. I can’t imagine a bent barrel coming out of the factory. I’ve seen bent barrels but it was typically the owner shutting them in a door or falling on them.
    Buddy in high school had a 20 ga single shot that he bent in a car door. Looking down from the breach, only half the muzzle was in sight but that’s all he had and he was a decent wing shot on dove and quail.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast