O/U

O/U

This is a discussion on O/U within the Guns & Ammo forums, part of the Tools of the Trade category; Wal-Mart has a o/u shotgun for a pretty low price the brand is Tristar i know nothing about them but from what i have read ...

Thread: O/U

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    449 times

O/U

Wal-Mart has a o/u shotgun for a pretty low price the brand is Tristar i know nothing about them but from what i have read on the world wide web they might be a steal for the price. Any of you fine folks got any real world run ins with this gun or brand? Keep in mind you get what you pay for i stand behind that but for something cheap not getting shot a ton.... or do you know of something better around the same price point?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3382 times
    I haven't heard anything bad about the Tristar. I know they are not suited for one seriously interested in volume trap shooting, but they will last many afternoons in the back yard busting clays.
    Most of the objections I've seen are the fit and finish, but you don't get great fit and finish without paying for it.
    Don't think I'd have a problem owning one.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1606 times
    I won a 12 gauge automatic Tri-Star in a raffle and It currently sits in my office in 2 ziplock bags. Shot maybe 500 rounds through it and the firing pin bent and broke. Got a replacement and a few hundred more rounds and the entire action came loose in the receiver. Sent the entire gun in to get fixed and it was awol for about 5 months. Finally got it back and was dove hunting with it when it did the exact thing again. By now this $5 raffle ticket was costing me more than what it was worth.
    I would have to think the O/U should be ok since it has less moving parts. I’d be curious how they shot as far as POI and % of top barrel to % of bottom barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3382 times
    That's not a good report at all.
    I'm wondering if the O/U is more reliable. That's the only one I'm familiar with.
    Last edited by dennishoddy; 08-03-2020 at 11:19 PM.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    449 times
    Are these guns mostly just for busting clays?

Member #
    Liked
    1606 times
    I’ve read several other forums about Tri-Star. Majority say run, run away of the automatics. The opinion on the O/U guns varies. Read where several people went to pattern their shotguns and would have bottom barrel shoot several inches over aim point and the same for top barrel shooting high, low or left or right. On the positive side several say they really like their O/U and thought it was a great shotgun for the price.

Member #
    Liked
    3382 times
    Quote Originally Posted by murphranch View Post
    I’ve read several other forums about Tri-Star. Majority say run, run away of the automatics. The opinion on the O/U guns varies. Read where several people went to pattern their shotguns and would have bottom barrel shoot several inches over aim point and the same for top barrel shooting high, low or left or right. On the positive side several say they really like their O/U and thought it was a great shotgun for the price.

Pretty much what I'm hearing.

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    449 times
    Hmm might be best just to avoid it im thinking. The price looks fun but whats the point if it doesnt shoot what your aiming at.

Member #
    Liked
    1039 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Sits In The Woods View Post
    Are these guns mostly just for busting clays?
    For hunting mostly. They won't hold up to thousands of rounds.