Iron sight Deer shooter

Iron sight Deer shooter

This is a discussion on Iron sight Deer shooter within the Guns & Ammo forums, part of the Tools of the Trade category; I have some very accurate hunting rifles and accurate shots out to 300 yard (my personal limit) are well with in my capabilities. The two ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By TheDoubleD
  • 3 Post By TheDoubleD
  • 1 Post By Bullbuster

Thread: Iron sight Deer shooter

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times

Iron sight Deer shooter

I have some very accurate hunting rifles and accurate shots out to 300 yard (my personal limit) are well with in my capabilities. The two main rifles I have and have used year after year for over 30 year are KDF Voere Titan II in .308 Norma Mag and and 98 Mauser Custom built (by me) .338-06 Ack Imp. Both rifles are scoped with Leupold 4x12 scopes. I have taken 3 animals with these guns in the past 4 years and all heart shot. By that I mean the heart was aimed at and hit. Longest range was an Antelope at just over 200 yards. The Whitetail 175 yards and Moose at 40 yard. These scoped rifles get checked each year before hunting to make sure the scope is still on, usually amounting to 3 shots. I still can shoot both rifles under an inch at 100 yards. The .308 NM under 3/4". I recently had to reload for both rifles. The 100 rounds I loaded in 1989 for the .308NM ran out. The Box of 50 .338/06 Ackley had last been reloaded in 1994. Great accurate reliable game getters. But I don't shoot them much.

For the past 20 years I have been pretty heavily involved in shooting Martini's of all sorts. I love shooting my Martini's.

I have used the 577/450 ZAR Westley Richards by Francotte to take 2 kudu in South Africa. I also took a Springbok, Steenbok and Guinea fowl with a small action Isaac Hollic Martini in 218 Mashburn Bee on that trip.

I also extensively used BSA Francotte small Martini's in 17HM2, 17 HMR, and 17 Hornady Hornet to take thousands of Montana gophers, a large number of Rock chucks, jack rabbits, prairie dogs and badgers. The Hollis .218 Bee also was used to on gophers. The last season I shot Gophers in Montana I used the 17 Hornet and fired 1250 rounds in 4 days.

I did take my Greener Martini in 577/500 Express on the moose hunt but circumstances did not provide an opportunity to use it.

I have also taken Turkey and pheasant with my Martini shotgun.

Since moving to Oklahoma I haven't had much opportunity to go game shooting. Hunting around here is pretty limited by access and for me now deer hunting is about all the Oklahoma game hunting I will do.

I recently acquired a pair of .303 Martini's with the Idea of carrying them to the deer blind.

The first is a Sporting Martini made for Rawbone, Cape Town about 1890. It is a .303, not a .303 British. It is .303 with Metford Bore. It has the same ballistics as a .303 British but use a .304 bullet rather than a .311 bullet. I have to make my own ammo.

The Second gun is indeed a .303 British caliber Sporting Martini, made by Halloway and Naughton some where after 1904 probably around 1920. THe bore on this rifle is shot out. That old cordite ammo eats up rifling. I am probably going to have this gun bored out to .375 2-1/2" Flanged NE.

I am going to start working up loads for Rawbone .303. If I can get it to shoot 3", 100 yard groups I will take it to the deer stand for 100 yard shots.

Next year I am planning on going out to New Mexico for Elk and I will take the Greener 577/500 EXP with me. I had to build a new front sight for this gun and still have to file it in.
    dennishoddy, baby, kwaynem and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3561 times
    Nice collection of classic firearms!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    I have hunted a lot in my 56 years of hunting and will stop only when they bury me.

I still want to take the big buck, but if I am hunting, that is more important. I don't need to hunt. But no hunting this year is bothering me.

Here is the rest of classic big game rifles in my locker.

Barnsley Sporting rifle in 577/450 Martini. Unusual in that it uses a Mk IV style action, It not a sporterized military rifle, rather a purpose built Sporting rifle. Made in England for Barnsley, Grahamtown, South Africa. Maker unknown.

Greener S1 Martini Sporting rifle made 1898 in 500 Blackpowder Express, called 577/500 Express in modern times. Made for the Export market for shooting Tigers in India. I you have a Tiger problem, call me.

Isaac Hollis and Son's Sporting rifle in Westley Richards No. 2 Musket. Very popular in South Africa. Cartridge made as direct competitor to 577/450 Martini. Very popular in South Africa. It is not known for sure if Hollis made these rifle or contracted them as was done in the era. But this style action is only seen in Hollis guns.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3561 times
    Interesting to see the difference in the forearms vs the modern firearms.
    The splinter style is popular in European gun styles.
    I have some English stocked shotguns that show that style.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    2733 times
    You need a son to will any of that to let me know...nice collection for sure.
    kwaynem likes this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal