Arrow Wraps

Arrow Wraps

This is a discussion on Arrow Wraps within the Archery forums, part of the Tools of the Trade category; Alright, so I was talking to a new hunting buddy of mine at work this morning about traditional archery and we were talking about vanes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Arrow Wraps

Member #
    Liked
    623 times

Arrow Wraps

Alright, so I was talking to a new hunting buddy of mine at work this morning about traditional archery and we were talking about vanes vs feathers. He could not understand why I shoot vanes from an elevated rest when shooting feathers off the shelf is so simple. I had to explain my main reasoning was, every carbon arrow I've ever tried to fletch always ends up tearing off after less than a dozen shots. I always scuff and prep the shafts and I've tried ALL of the fletching glues and even gorilla glue, but the fletching ALWAYS tears off quickly. I can only shoot factory fletched arrows and once they're damaged, I'll refletch them with a quickfletch and shoot them from my compound.

Then he says, "why don't you use wraps, and then glue your fletching to the wraps?" This thought has never occurred to me. Anyone use wraps with feather fletching on carbon arrows? Any recommendations or pointers? I was going to order some Bohning wraps off amazon and give some right wing feathers another try. This could be a game changer!
    Bullbuster likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1945 times
    I too have had issues with fletchings falling off after re fletching them. I’d just re fletch them again and again. I never thought about using wraps either. I strictly have a crossbow now but would like to get a compound again. Keep us posted on how this works for you.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    623 times
    I figured out Academy has some wraps so I plan to go straight there on my way home from work and I'm going to try them with some feathers. I've got some right wing feathers and a helical clamp so it should work just fine. I'll try three arrows or so and hopefully get a chance to shoot them later this week. Fingers crossed.
    dennishoddy likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Tracker
    Member #
    Liked
    207 times
    good little experiment post some pictures if you get time and let us know how it turns out

Member #
    Liked
    1945 times
    I’ve even seen the wraps with fletchings attached. They heat shrink into place if I’m not mistaken.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    2578 times
    I've experienced the same thing when fletching with the glue they supply you.
    A friend told me to use super glue. The deer I shot yesterday retained the fletchings. I will clean up the arrow, replace the inserts on the broadhead and put it right back in the quiver.
    I've looked at those that heat shrink to the arrow, but using an xbow, I'd think that would raise the back of the bolt just a tad and wasn't sure how that would perform.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Tracker
    Member #
    Liked
    207 times
    Do you think the insert was damaged?

Member #
    Liked
    623 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    I’ve even seen the wraps with fletchings attached. They heat shrink into place if I’m not mistaken.
    Yeah, I think what you're referencing are those NAP QuickFletch. You dip them in hot water and the shrink wrap sticks to your arrow with the vanes already in place. I use those on my compound and they work amazingly will. However, I have yet to see a similar product with feathers. Unfortunately, Academy didn't have them after all. I'll order some or run by Cabelas soon and get some wraps and then get to fletching.
    Bullbuster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1055 times
    I've used wrap with fletchings in the past and they do work well. One thing to check is depending on the length of the wrap, is if it adds enough weight to change you FOC on the arrow. So basically shoot them before you wrap one and go hunting with it.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    623 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird (this time) View Post
    I've used wrap with fletchings in the past and they do work well. One thing to check is depending on the length of the wrap, is if it adds enough weight to change you FOC on the arrow. So basically shoot them before you wrap one and go hunting with it.
    Yeah, my FOC is already not ideal with my setup. I'm probably going to be adding at least 50 grain brass inserts to my arrows to help with that. By the time I add the wraps and feathers, I imagine I should be about the same as is now, maybe a bit better FOC than before. I still haven't bought the wraps yet. I started this project, then remembered I need to go sight in one of my rifles before this weekend's opener so my thoughts have moved on to that for a moment.
    Bird (this time) likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast