Who's sporting traditional gear this fall?

This is a discussion on Who's sporting traditional gear this fall? within the Archery forums, part of the Tools of the Trade category; I've been shooting my recurve religiously since last season and I'm pretty good out to 22 yards, 18 yards and in being my comfort zone. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Who's sporting traditional gear this fall?

Member #
    Liked
    710 times

I've been shooting my recurve religiously since last season and I'm pretty good out to 22 yards, 18 yards and in being my comfort zone. I've got my arrows tuned to my bow and my form down. I'm going to be chasing deer with my traditional gear only this year! I'm actually giving up some private property and focusing on public land this year too.

I've decided I've gotten lazy hunting with my buddy and also, due to personal reasons, I am giving up hunting on his place. Last season was not fun, at all. I want to have fun again and challenge myself.

Who else is sporting traditional archery equipment this fall?

My setup:
    Samick Sage 45#
    Easton Axis Traditional 500, 29"
    3x4" shield cut feathers, right wing
    Woodsman 3 blade 200gr
    about 485gr total arrow weight at about 165fs with a fairly high FOC
    kwaynem and Bullbuster like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Good luck. Always good to challenge yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Archer22 likes this.

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Always sucks when you have a falling out even worse when you lose your hunting land over it.
    Archer22 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2431 times
    I’ll be using my crossbow for bear. Tried to draw back a 55# bow the other day and my rotator cuff is still tender.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    3272 times
    I ripped my bicep tendon off the bone a few years back. It was reattached. Nothing for me but xbows from now on.
    I grew up shooting a recurve though with cedar arrows.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    I’ll be using my crossbow for bear. Tried to draw back a 55# bow the other day and my rotator cuff is still tender.
    Ouch, no bueno.
    Bullbuster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    I ripped my bicep tendon off the bone a few years back. It was reattached. Nothing for me but xbows from now on.
    I grew up shooting a recurve though with cedar arrows.
    That's sounds horribly painful. I'm sure I already mentioned him, but I've got a colleague at work who grew up shooting self bows and cedar arrows, he's ignited my passion for trying things a bit more simple. He's retiring in a year, I need to hurry up and squeeze all the knowledge out of him while I can.
    rswink, Bullbuster and dennishoddy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2431 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer22 View Post
    Ouch, no bueno.
    VAs wanted to do surgery on it for awhile now but I don’t want it. Those kinds of surgery’s never end well in the long run. I have issues enough with it that anything worse and I’d be a liability to myself and coworkers IMO.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    VAs wanted to do surgery on it for awhile now but I don’t want it. Those kinds of surgery’s never end well in the long run. I have issues enough with it that anything worse and I’d be a liability to myself and coworkers IMO.
    The only experience I have with rotator cuff surgery was when my dad had it. He couldn't pick up a half gallon of milk form the refrigerator, he had zero strength in his arm. It as nearly completely torn at that point. He had the surgery and within weeks he was back to normal, he had that surgery at 58 years old I think. He had a very quick recovery. Now he can draw back a 60# compound bow just fine at 66 years old. He doesn't hunt or shoot a bow regularly, but he can shoot his bow fine without pain. (I tried to get him into bowhunting 13 years ago and he shoots every once in a while just for fun).
    Bullbuster and dennishoddy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3272 times
    The rehab on rotator cuff surgery is the worst part I’ve been told but once done, they regain most if not all mobility.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast