NV Suggestions (CHEAP)

NV Suggestions (CHEAP)

This is a discussion on NV Suggestions (CHEAP) within the Optics and other Hunting Gear forums, part of the Tools of the Trade category; So I've got the itch. A buddy of mine just got a thermal setup and it is SWEET! I was needing to replace my rangefinder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: NV Suggestions (CHEAP)

Member #
    Liked
    777 times

NV Suggestions (CHEAP)

So I've got the itch. A buddy of mine just got a thermal setup and it is SWEET! I was needing to replace my rangefinder that I recently lost on a hunting trip, but I have hardly used the rangefinder in the past 10 years I've owned it. SO, I'm considering looking at a night vision setup instead.

Reasons for NV: I can't afford thermal. The same friend of mine is in talks with the GW about getting a night shooting permit after deer season and I would like to be able to participate (if legal of course). Also, I'd just like to have the nv just for general recreation purposes. I think it would be a neat thing to have.

I'm looking at a monocular as opposed to a dedicated weapon optic because I'd probably only ever use it the few times I could shoot with a night permit. Otherwise, the rest of the time I could use it hiking/camping,etc. So the ability to use as a handheld, on a firearm, and with a helmet/head gear would be ideal.

Here is one I am considering that comes with helmet and weapon mounts: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bus...dCatid=4715545

Whatever I'd get, I'd be adding an IR Illuminator if used on a firearm. I'm not concerned with extended range, a clear image out to 100y I think would suffice for my intended purposes. I understand the basics of NV and IR and was hoping someone with experience could point me in a good direction. Budget is sub-$500, below $300 being ideal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3679 times
    Don’t have a clue here what would be a good one. Friend has a thermal rig and really brags on it. I’ve never looked through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    777 times
    Taking a thermal out at night is mind boggling. We just walked around using it as a handheld after my buddy bought it. Being able to watch mice run around in a field, animals several hundred yards away, etc. It was insane. For a short while you can see footprints where people walk. He also used it at his parent's house and found out they had a slab leak where a pipe broke. Thermal is cool. I just see myself potentially getting more use out of NV as opposed to thermal and it costs significantly less in most cases.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2850 times
    Ive been looking into one as well. The ability to walk to a stand and not spook anything because you can see them is great. Many states don’t allow them in the field while hunting.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thermal and might vision are worlds apart. I have tried two different digital night vision sights and both were very hard to look through for any length of time. I sold them both. Thermal is a horse of a different color, especially in how easy it is to pick out warm things compared to trying to focus a NV device which has to be done any time the distance to what you are looking at changes. Plus you have to do it while holding the rifle on the target. Wears you out.
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3679 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickt300 View Post
    Thermal and might vision are worlds apart. I have tried two different digital night vision sights and both were very hard to look through for any length of time. I sold them both. Thermal is a horse of a different color, especially in how easy it is to pick out warm things compared to trying to focus a NV device which has to be done any time the distance to what you are looking at changes. Plus you have to do it while holding the rifle on the target. Wears you out.
    What brand/model do you reccomend?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    273 times
    The cheapest thermal I'd reccomend is the Bering Optics Hogster. I don't own one, but have a buddy who did for a while.

Shelling out $3K (and up) is a bit sickening...but after going thermal I'll never go back. Cheap digital NV with an illuminator can work, but I can detect heat signatures at over a mile. With a 2-300 yard range on most digital NV, you're going to miss a lot of stuff if you're hunting open fields.

Member #
    Liked
    777 times
    So three years later my perspective has definitely changed. I still have my cheap, gen 1 monocular. It works great just for walking around, helmet mounted. I still have my Sig Echo 1 (inexpensive thermal). Before I quit going after hogs this summer, I killed hundreds of pigs with that setup. I could pick out large hogs at half a mile easily with good thermal conditions.

If I had to do it all over again, I still would have bought the Sig instead of saving for a more expensive setup. It was WAY better than my buddy's cheap ATN and I like reflex sights more than putting my eye up to a rubber cup all the time. I have zero plans to invest any more money into thermal or NV unless I see a screaming deal. I was looking at a Bering Optics GT-14 to upgrade my head mount unit and if they ever drop the price on the Pulsar RXQ30V when they discontinue it, I'll probably jump on one of those. If I ever get new private property to hog hunt again, I will start thinking about upgrading.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    What brand/model do you reccomend?
    I just leased a thermal once and used one on a friends rifle. I couldn't tell you the brand but "XP50" sticks in my memory.

Member #
    Liked
    3679 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickt300 View Post
    I just leased a thermal once and used one on a friends rifle. I couldn't tell you the brand but "XP50" sticks in my memory.
    Where do you lease a thermal? Can't say I've ever heard of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast