Hunting Pictures and Stories

This is a discussion on Hunting Pictures and Stories within the Making Oklahoma Outdoors Great Again forums, part of the Hunting & Fishing Contest 2018/2019 category; Post all your contest related hunting pics and stories here....

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Hunting Pictures and Stories

Member #
    Liked
    1718 times

Post all your contest related hunting pics and stories here.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    Alright. I'll kick start this thing with my first hunting story. Unfortunately, I left the ol' cell phone in the truck so I don't have any pictures to post up for points, but at least it is a story. (I'll remember the cell phone next time.)

I met up with my buddy Friday night on his property to do a little pig hunting this past weekend. He's sweet talked several of his neighbors into letting him and a select few friends pig hunt their properties so we were basically driving up and down the roads all night patrolling their properties, waiting for the pigs to show up. One of the neighbors had just planted soy beans on a couple tracts of land and the pigs were walking straight down the rows picking up the seeds and seedlings.

Anyways, Friday was a bust. We saw one small group of pigs and never got a shot on them. That was from 10p-5am.
    Saturday night, we got into some action. We found our first group just after 10pm in his soy bean field next to his house. We stalked our way up to within about 60 yards from them in the back of a quarter section. It was a mix of juvenile pigs weighing about 50-60lbs and piglets about 20lbs each. Of the 10 or so pigs, I shot three piglets and a juvenile and my buddy shot two more piglets. We knocked down most of that group.

Later in the morning, about 1:30am, we hit the jackpot with a soybean field with about 50 hogs in it. Since we were undergunned, my AR with half a mag and my buddy with his bolt gun, we went back to his property for more magazines and to swap out his bolt gun for another AR. When we returned, about half the pigs had gone, but there were still two groups of about 10 spaced apart about 40 yards. Once again, we stalked all the way across the quarter section to the pigs. We counted down and started shooting, shot one pig, the second shot the screen on my buddy's thermal went black so I started scanning like a mad man with my NV scope to make sure we weren't getting charged by any scared/pissed off pigs. We made the mistake of standing between these two groups and the tree line, so when we started shooting they ran at us and around us like water around a rock. Shortly thereafter, his screen came back up and we located a group about 80 yards away that had stopped in the field. I shot two more and my buddy shot 3-4. We only retrieved one, the rest made it to the fence and we weren't about to go walking through the brush looking for injured pigs.

All in all it was a good night and a heck of a lot of fun. We're doing it again I think in two weeks so next time I'll post for points, hopefully.
    dennishoddy, Bullbuster and okbob like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2059 times
    Dang! that sounds like fun!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1718 times
    Too bad your buddy didn't have his phone to take pics either as it sounds like a swine time y'all had.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    Too bad your buddy didn't have his phone to take pics either as it sounds like a swine time y'all had.
    Well, the story is a little more complicated than that. That first big bunch of hogs, my buddy had his cell phone. I remembered as we were walking the half mile back to his utv. We were going to drive around the field to go drag the pigs out so we were going to take pictures then. However, by the time we got back to the utv, we realized my buddy had dropped the key somewhere out in the field. We ended up searching for it for about an hour and then finally begged his wife to run us out the spare key. We were 8 miles from our trucks and weren't going to walk back in the dark. We didn't get back up and running until 1am and didn't feel like messing with the dead pigs since we just wasted nearly 2 hours. The landowner doesn't mind us letting the sub-100lb pigs lie.

Since the only one we recovered from the second group was the one my buddy shot, I didn't feel like having him take a pic since I couldn't use it for points anyways.

I'll tell you this much: being out in the middle of nowhere with no moon, no street lights, no light pollution from any nearby town, one small flashlight and then the batteries died on the thermals. It was PITCH black and eerie as hell sitting there waiting for a key. Ordinarily the dark doesn't bother me, but that night was just plain creepy until we got back up and running again.
    Last edited by Archer22; 06-13-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1718 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer22 View Post
    Well, the story is a little more complicated than that. That first big bunch of hogs, my buddy had his cell phone. I remembered as we were walking the half mile back to his utv. We were going to drive around the field to go drag the pigs out so we were going to take pictures then. However, by the time we got back to the utv, we realized my buddy had dropped the key somewhere out in the field. We ended up searching for it for about an hour and then finally begged his wife to run us out the spare key. We were 8 miles from our trucks and weren't going to walk back in the dark. We didn't get back up and running until 1am and didn't feel like messing with the dead pigs since we just wasted nearly 2 hours. The landowner doesn't mind us letting the sub-100lb pigs lie.

Since the only one we recovered from the second group was the one my buddy shot, I didn't feel like having him take a pic since I couldn't use it for points anyways.

I'll tell you this much: being out in the middle of nowhere with no moon, no street lights, no light pollution from any nearby town, one small flashlight and then the batteries died on the thermals. It was PITCH black and eerie as hell sitting there waiting for a key. Ordinarily the dark doesn't bother me, but that night was just plain creepy until we got back up and running again.
    See a little razzing the good part of the story finally gets told lol. I lost a nice 150-200# hog a few years back. Got it with my .40 postal at about 50y. Once I realized the 6’+ Johnson grass I was bushwhacking through in shorts and a T-shirt was in fact chigger grass and I was the evening meal we backed out. Buddy found it a couple days later but at that point it was a rotting stink pile. That was the only Okie hog I ever got.
    Bird (this time) likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    822 times
    You mean one of your Okie friends didn't tell you about chiggers???
    kwaynem and Bullbuster like this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    Yeah. I don't revel in the idea of going in after an injured pig when you can't see very well. The 50 pounder I shot already had some sizeable cutters on it. It was shot through the back while it was running. My buddy was going to reach down and cut his throat, but that pig dang near got him with his cutters and that was in the wide open field with a flashlight on him and a foot in the pigs back. I could only imagine being nose to nose with one in the brush. NO THANK YOU!

We've killed quite a few that were DRT and tracked a few a short ways. You would not believe how resilient they are and how many run off, even with good shot placement. I've seen a 250# boar take a .22lr to the ear hole and drop and I've watched a 150# sow take 10 .223's and made it 30 yards into the woods before I put a .357mag in her skull. That was a 150 pounder.
    Last edited by Archer22; 06-13-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    897 times
    Pigs and really tall grass don’t mix. A couple of years ago I was coon hunting with a friend south of Arkansas City, we had a single shot 22 that you pulled the knob back to cock it, only the knob wasn’t there and my friend used a leather man as the knob. We followed his dogs into head high Johnson grass and it suddenly opened up into a round clearing about 7 feet across and it had about 9 or 10 still wet new born piglets in it. He turned around and started walking with his coon light on high and I got to watch our back with a little 3 AAA headlamp. Not sure where she was or what we would’ve done if she had charged. Finally caught up with dogs a couple hours later.

Member #
    Liked
    2059 times
    That could have turned ugly!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast