Food Plots and Deer Feed - Page 3

Food Plots and Deer Feed

This is a discussion on Food Plots and Deer Feed within the Big Game forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Gollybum it sounds like it! Baitimg doesnt seem necessary. Well other than giving you something to do during the off season to occupy the mind. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Food Plots and Deer Feed

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Gollybum it sounds like it! Baitimg doesnt seem necessary. Well other than giving you something to do during the off season to occupy the mind. And of course spend money!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Sits In The Woods View Post
    Bullbuster. No food plots or baiting where your at?
    I put in two food plots for the first time ever this year. One is doing great the other not so much. Last time i checked their growth i didnt see much sign of browes maybe to warm i dont know.
    Lots of acorns and persimmons falling now. When that happens deer pretty much don't visit food plots and feeders.
    There are no persimmons and no acorns where I hunt so feeders and food plots work well.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Mr. Hoddy.
    Everywhere i hunt is pretty much covered up with acorns. Last year was ridiculous trying to patteren movement. Had deer at feeders every night until about mid Oct they just stopped. I quit putting out corn at that point. Before the first hard freeze i had corn plants 4in high from the corn setting so long. Planned on changing my stradegy this year and your input just confirms it.
    dennishoddy likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    Got two of three food plots brush hogged yesterday. Heard a loud POP but didn’t see any thing wrong from the seat, but when trying to load on the trailer, it wouldn’t lift.
    Seems the third arm broke, so stashed tractor and trailer in the woods and came home. Got up this morning with a spare got loaded and came home. Third spot will get mowed next week.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Always fun when a project turns into another project!
    kwaynem likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    Didn't take any pics, but put in 2, two acre food plots with wheat today. It was raining when leaving so with any luck at all, should see some sprouts in a week or so.

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    If you build it they will come ha
    Bullbuster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    I'm getting a lot of growth out of the radish, turnips and rape but the oats and tritical are slowly coming along. All my plots look about the same. The deer wont leave them alone long enough to thicken up. Wont even let the winter peas get any growth before they pinch them off. I reseeded before the big rains last week. Wanted to try and thicken up the stand. Threw some alfalfa seed in with my regular mix to and its sprouting. I think next spring I will show all the plots with a mix of alfalfa, chicory and clover then in the fall I can mow it short and seed my fall mix on top of it. Found a farmer who had all the alfalfa cleanings I could handle for $5 a 50 pound bag. Full of good seed but has a lot of grass seed mixed in. Figure after I plant it next year I can hit a couple times with clethodim and kill all the grass out. Alfalfa on the cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Very cheap

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    Checked my plots yesterday. Everything is sprouting nicely. Wheat is about 3” tall, and the ladino clover is just getting out of the ground.
    All this rain has sure helped. Even had some does feeding on one plot when I drove in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast