Food Plots and Deer Feed

Food Plots and Deer Feed

This is a discussion on Food Plots and Deer Feed within the Big Game forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Just wondering what brands/products you guys have the best luck with when it comes to deer attractant, pellets, food plots. Thanks!...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Food Plots and Deer Feed

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Food Plots and Deer Feed

Just wondering what brands/products you guys have the best luck with when it comes to deer attractant, pellets, food plots.

Thanks!
    dennishoddy likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    781 times
    Corn and more corn lol
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    All corn and a little sweet feed works good for me

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    I put in food plots of wheat. I live in wheat growing country so it's a food they are familiar with.

Over the years, I've tried a lot of the commercial mixes for the food plots. Even going so far as to plant them in different zones in front of the blind at one time to see which they preferred.

What I've found from a lot of the commercial mixes is that they aren't designed to be planted in Ok. They may work great in Michigan where brassicas and rape type of plants need an early freeze to convert the starches to sugars where the deer will eat them.
    In Ok we may not get a freeze until rifle season is almost over. It does you no good to plant that. It looks great, but it's bitter until a freeze.

There are zero apple trees or acorns in the area that I hunt. I've transported buckets of acorns and apples to my area and they pretty much ignore them.

So, the bottom line I'm saying is to look around in your area, see what the farmers are growing and plant the same. If there is no agriculture in your area and the deer are living off of mast and forage from oak trees, etc, some of the attractant like ground acorns might work.
    A food plot of wheat in the middle of some trees close to cover will attract deer that a big field won't until it's dark because there is no cover close by.

Corn always works from a feeder or poured on the ground.

If your going to put in a food plot the most important thing is to get a soil test. It will tell you what you need to do to get the soil ready to plant. Its frustrating to buy some seed, plant it and it just never grows well.
    Probably bad soil that can be corrected after a soil test.
    okie4570 and Kicker like this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 918hunter View Post
    All corn and a little sweet feed works good for me
    Good advice and welcome to Oklahoma Hunter!

What part of Ok do you come from?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    North of tulsa. In Osage county

Member #
    Liked
    961 times
    Alfalfa and clover are about two of the best attractants I've seen around my area. But when white oak acorns are falling, nothing will pull them away from them. Well, a Chevy might pull 'em, but a Ford wouldn't stand a chance!!!
    kwaynem and Kicker like this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Food plot success varies so much in OK because of the vast differences between rainfall, soil type, humidity and temp differences depending on your location east to west. Nearly every crop will work in eastern OK, not so in the western part of the state.
    dennishoddy likes this.

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    781 times
    Sil put cameras,feeder,and blind up last week we went and set all mine and the youngest daughter today and I thought I was going to melt before we got done and got out of the timber he had some little bucks on camera but no shooters yet I just put out 150 of corn in the feeder I’ll add a little something in a couple weeks not sure what yet
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    We hunt in NW OK and last year I got a fall mix from Ross seed co in El Reno and it came up great I will include a list of the seed that is in it. Like previously stated, some of the stuff like the turnips came up great but for us did not do us much good because we typically come up the 2 weeks before gun starts. The only reason we planted it is because other family hunts it throughout the year and they destroy the turnips later in the year. We are also surrounded by wheat and our food plot is located between 2 draws of woods with pretty good cover. We seem to get a lot of activity in the plot itself. We also have a large 50 gallon drum gravity feeder with a cattle fence around it that we use corn in during the season and a protein feed during the spring and summer. The seed mix includes Wheat, Oats, Austrian winter peas, triticale, alfalfa, turnips, rape, clover, dwarf Essex rape, and Daikon Radish. And we did not do a soil test just broadcast the seed and drag it over. Seemed to work pretty good. Maybe we got lucky but we will take it. Name:  Turnips.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  97.1 KB
    baby, kwaynem and dennishoddy like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast