Oklahoma Controlled Hunts

This is a discussion on Oklahoma Controlled Hunts within the Big Game forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Anybody draw a rifle tag for an Oklahoma antelope and shoot a speed goat? If so, I'd love to see a picture! I was lucky ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By wrightoutdoors
  • 1 Post By dennishoddy
  • 2 Post By murphranch
  • 1 Post By Kicker
  • 1 Post By dennishoddy

Thread: Oklahoma Controlled Hunts

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Anybody draw a rifle tag for an Oklahoma antelope and shoot a speed goat? If so, I'd love to see a picture!

I was lucky enough to draw the tag a couple of years ago and had a great hunt.
    https://wrightoutdoors.wordpress.com...te-speed-goat/
    okbob and Kicker like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3386 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightoutdoors View Post
    Anybody draw a rifle tag for an Oklahoma antelope and shoot a speed goat? If so, I'd love to see a picture!

I was lucky enough to draw the tag a couple of years ago and had a great hunt.
    https://wrightoutdoors.wordpress.com...te-speed-goat/
    Unfortunately for me, I've been putting in since the inception of this hunt like elk since the 70's and haven't drawn either. I always thought that if I did draw the speed goat hunt, I'd hunt the Cimarron National Grasslands as it's public hunting, or put an ad in the Guymon Newspaper that I'd trade a rick of split and seasoned oak firewood for a hunt.
    Have to draw first though.
    Congrats on the draw and the fine looking antelope. Great write up as well!
    wrightoutdoors likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1606 times
    It will surprise you what value some people put on a rick of seasoned/split/hardwood. I would take a 16 foot dump trailer loaded to the top of the 4 foot side boards with oak, walnut and hedge to a couple of families around Colby and Grinnell Kansas where we pheasant hunted. One of them told me if I wanted to make some good money bring another load the next time we were going to bird hunt and leave the trailer at the Co-Op in Grinnell. I wasn’t into cutting that much wood so I went to a guy in Ralston that had a bunch of seasoned wood for $55/rick. He loaded 12 rick, I paid him $700, took it to the Co-Op early one morning and it was all gone by that afternoon and they gave me $1500. May have been the easiest $800 I ever made but it didn’t stay in my pocket long. The local Pheasants Forever Chapter had their banquet that night. Damn raffle tickets!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Kicker and Bullbuster like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    104 times
    I've been putting in for it for years. Nothing yet.

Enjoyed the write up, and congrats on a nice animal.
    wrightoutdoors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3386 times
    Quote Originally Posted by murphranch View Post
    It will surprise you what value some people put on a rick of seasoned/split/hardwood. I would take a 16 foot dump trailer loaded to the top of the 4 foot side boards with oak, walnut and hedge to a couple of families around Colby and Grinnell Kansas where we pheasant hunted. One of them told me if I wanted to make some good money bring another load the next time we were going to bird hunt and leave the trailer at the Co-Op in Grinnell. I wasn’t into cutting that much wood so I went to a guy in Ralston that had a bunch of seasoned wood for $55/rick. He loaded 12 rick, I paid him $700, took it to the Co-Op early one morning and it was all gone by that afternoon and they gave me $1500. May have been the easiest $800 I ever made but it didn’t stay in my pocket long. The local Pheasants Forever Chapter had their banquet that night. Damn raffle tickets!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My buddy worked in Midland Tx for several years. Every time he came home he would pull a 20’ gooseneck trailer, load it up with firewood and pay for his trip by selling it when he got home.
    murphranch likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    2569 times
    I drew on my 1st antelope tag this year. But it was a 100% draw rate for so.......
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal