2020 sucks...

2020 sucks...

This is a discussion on 2020 sucks... within the Big Game forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; I got an email from the Outfitter in New Mexico that my Elk hunt is cancelled. No Elk. He said the guides had been out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 2020 sucks...

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times

2020 sucks...

I got an email from the Outfitter in New Mexico that my Elk hunt is cancelled. No Elk. He said the guides had been out scouting and checking cameras and they had no sign of of elk in three weeks. The outfitter is 300 miles from the ranch and he said he went out and checked himself. He said there is no sign of elk anywhere out there. He says that he has had the hunting lease on that ranch for a number of years and only takes 9 hunters. Last year they took 8 bulls and should have had the 9th.

The ranch is 12,000 acres and there is 100 cow lease on it also. They have not had rain in two years and there is no water and no grass. The Cow guy is trying to break his lease and has already started to move his cows out.

The Outfitter offered a full refund including sales tax on permits that had already been purchased from the State. The State does not give refunds so the Outfitter must be paying this out of his pocket. (times 9 hunters-ouch) He also offered to carry me over to next season, that's what I chose. He also said in his 33 years of operation this is the first time he has had to a cancel a hunt.

I had cancelled and deferred my deer hunt for this Elk hunt, to 2021. So no hunting for me in 2020.

Did I mention 2020 sucks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1565 times
    If an outfitter is willing to do what he's doing on the refunds, I'd sure give him my business in the future. I've heard that drought out there was getting pretty bad, but had no idea it was that bad.
    kwaynem and BobbyV like this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    2733 times
    That really sucks man. You can’t get in an OK hunt at all? Had a few bad outfitter bookings in the past myself. Was outfitter issue (New baby and moved outta state & died of heart attack) and not drought/ weather related. Glad they are so willing to work with you. Too bad the state isn’t refunding tags.
    We have a massive forest fire SE of here, about 80 miles, in the Snowy mountains. Game Dept. said they are refunding deer, elk and moose tags for that area. Been 9 years since they last refunded tags due to natural disaster. The game laws specifically call for the allowance of refunding tags due to natural disasters. I think more states need to have such a law on the books.

I also agree that 2020 sucks and should just be over with.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Man, I hate to hear that. I sure hope the elk numbers pick up for next year.

Member #
    Liked
    3559 times
    Don't know what part of New Mexico you were going to hunt, but the drought has been ongoing in the NE part of the state for a couple of years. We got lucky last year and had a big snow in the Marino valley about a month before we got there. Then it warmed up. The grass turned green and grew. Then another big snow came along and drove the elk down from the high country.
    Sucks that you don't get to go this year but it sounds like a very honest outfitter. You were smart to defer to next year.
    kwaynem likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    1259 times
    Man that sucks for sure

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    479 times
    Hate hearing that but like everyone else has said seems the outfitter is on the up and up.

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Dennis, the Ranch is part of the Cebolleta Land Grant, near Grants.

I thought about contacting the outfitter I hunt deer with. I gave up my spot for deer this year for Elk hunt. Had him carry over my deposit to next year. I know he has filled our spots, and all his slots are sold. I was thinking of asking him if he had a stand he would lease me.

I was thinking if he would lease me a spot, I would just go down and dry camp in the area. Wife pitched a fit-no way I am going hunting by myself. She said she would go with me. That killed that. She has never been any kind of camping in her life, ever. I sure as hell would not take her on her first camping trip dry camping---Not sure who would be more miserable. I would need to carry a shovel, because one of us would have to dig a shallow grave.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This years has been the worst really...
    BobbyV likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Dang . . . hate to hear about stuff like this . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast