Sooner Lake Duck Hunters

Sooner Lake Duck Hunters

This is a discussion on Sooner Lake Duck Hunters within the Waterfowl forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; As of today, Sooner lake is open again for boating and duck hunting....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Sooner Lake Duck Hunters

Member #
    Liked
    3479 times

Sooner Lake Duck Hunters

As of today, Sooner lake is open again for boating and duck hunting.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2680 times

Re: Sooner Lake Duck Hunters

That's good
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #

I'm wondering if you guys can/will share a little info about duck hunting at Sooner Lake. I don't have a dog or a boat. I wear waders and hunt out of a layout blind, will I have trouble hunting there?

I've also read you have to get there pretty early in the morning to get a spot, is that true? I usually hunt private farm ponds and am still learning so I'd like to make sure I know what I am doing before I just show up there?!?!

I'll probably go up there tomorrow and take a look around before I try to hunt there but any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3479 times

I'm not a waterfowl hunter much. Pond hopping is mostly what I do as well. I've never duck hunted Sooner, although I work there. From what I understand, there is a board on the east boat ramp with tags, that are for the area your hunting. put a tag in a spot, and its reserved for you. I have heard that the best spots take getting there early. You may have to walk aways to get to the areas if you don't get their soon enough, so toting a layout blind, decoys, etc may be a chore. Plenty of birds to be had as they haven't been hunted in awhile with the power line construction that caused the lake closure. Good luck, and if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Member #

Thanks Dennis, I think I'll go check it out this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks,
    BC

Member #
    Liked
    3479 times

I drove by Sooner on my way to OKC early this morning, and again this evening on the way home. The sky was full of waterfowl.
    Did you get to check it out?

Member #

Yep, it was good. I got a spot Saturday morning and saw tons of ducks and geese. They are all pretty smart at this point though. There was a little shooting over towards the boat ramp but not much over where I was at. They all seemed a little call/decoy shy (or at least shy to my decoys :-\ ) and stayed out in the middle of the water. I may try to get back out there Thursday morning and see if they've relaxed a little bit.

Had a great time though. Saw lots of geese flying over and lots of ducks flying around. Had a few Hawks buzzing all around me for a while and pretty sure I saw a Bald Eagle on the way out!

I'll be back up there soon for sure!

Member #
    Take a look at some of these layout blinds that you can work on with. In the end, let us know your favorite best layout blind!

Member #
    Liked
    3479 times
    Holy necrothread!

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    475 times
    Night of the living thread...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast