Upland hunting pictures - Page 12

Upland hunting pictures

This is a discussion on Upland hunting pictures within the Upland Game Birds forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; I wish it was. My long time bird hunting buddy has had to move away but we always talk about the odd and greatest points ...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Upland hunting pictures

Member #
    Liked
    2220 times
    I wish it was. My long time bird hunting buddy has had to move away but we always talk about the odd and greatest points we had with our brittney's.

We flushed a covey of quail once and got a long shot at one that struggled, yet flew out of sight.

The field had a very narrow yet had a deep creek running through it. On the other side of the field Doc went on point at the edge but was skittish, breaking point and running around back and forth before jumping into the water and swimming to the original point. His butt was floating, feet on the ground, but he was locked on the grass that was overhanging the creek. Buddy knelt down and started moving the grass with Doc watching intently.
    The quail finally flew out and I got the shot. Didn't fly well so we figured it was the cripple.
    Just one of our dogs greatest points. It was in the 80's and we talk about it to this day.
    Doc was a survivor. We were using him to retrieve doves once and if it was a short drive, we let him run beside the truck. He got in front of me once while driving. As I crossed the cattle guard, felt a thump, and instantly knew what had happened. I'd ran over Doc.
    We got out and he was laying on the ground whimpering. Buddy that was his owner was crying and leveled his shotgun to put him out of his misery, but I called him off, and we loaded Doc into the truck and went to the Vet.
    He ended up with a steel rod in the hip to repair the break. The rod stuck out of his hip about an inch, but he got around pretty good. Buddy asked the vet how long before he could get back out to hunt, and the vet told him to let the dog tell him when it was time to go home so we hunted him. Doc was so intent on the hunt that going through the brush it would sometimes hit that rod sticking up and he would yelp, but still never deviate from the scent he was following. We predominantly had pheasant with some quail, so he spent a lot of time trailing to get the point. Good times.
    Last edited by dennishoddy; 05-23-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    Kelulu and kwaynem like this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    220 times

And why, today, remember misses?

--Ernest Hemingway--

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112