Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

Upland hunting pictures

36K views 313 replies 13 participants last post by  Kelulu 
#1 ·
In addition to filming a lot of my hunts I've taken a lot of pictures through the years. I've recently been capturing some of the stills from my video footage which makes really neat photographs in the context of upland hunting. Here's some of my pictures.

This first is Scarlet. She was my first real bird dog and I chased her around killing birds she pointed in 5 different states. She died in '14 and I shoot into a covey of bobwhite near her grave every fall.

The next is Ellie (left) and Rhett. They've been my constant fall companions for 7 years now. I can't begin to count how many birds they've helped me harvest.

Finally, Dot the pup. I have big plans for her. Sire is Erin's Redrum and dam is Whiskey's Wild Rose.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good looking pups!
Sadly, I had to put down my brittney Thursday.
We chased birds every weekend while in season for 14 years.
He loved to ride in my 4 wheeler.
Here is his picture on his last ride.

Large tumor in his lungs and congestive heart failure. Miss him already.
Sorry to put a damper on your thread. Just got to thinking about him again.

Reactions: kwaynem
#4 ·
Sorry to hear that Dennis. I've not had the privilege to find myself attached to a 4 legged friend like that. My wife has 3 Chihuahuas and I can't stand them. Must be the bread in my case. My dad had 4 GSP's and the last one passed shortly after my brother and I were born. I've heard all the pheasant and quail stories over the years.

#6 ·
I know it's not true of everybody but it has always felt to me like God invented dogs as a way to give us back something of us that we had lost. My dogs (all 4 of them) have unique personalities but share one common trait, a burning desire to make me happy. Their affections are immeasurable, their natural abilities amazing and their drive awesome. I can't imagine life without them.

#12 ·
Nothing compares to walking to the stand in the dark with no light on, half asleep and flushing a covey of quail at your feet. That will get the blood bumping quick, adrenaline pumping at cardiac arrest levels and the need for fresh skivvies.

Reactions: kwaynem
#14 ·
Hunting buddies are made from experiences shared that cannot be explained. Human or canine, a bond is formed that only the lucky few will know and when you loose that buddy, the memory will last for the rest of your days.

#16 ·
Quail are making a comeback of sorts. The days when a ten covey day was the norm are gone with modern farming practices.
Now it only takes one season of drought or heavy rains at the wrong time during the nesting season to screw up the quail population for a couple of years.

#19 ·
Nice pics! That cat is mount worthy.
When is the opener? We have some of the new OLAP areas around my area. They look ripe for quail and pheasant.

#24 · (Edited)
Opening weekend was tough weather-wise but somewhat productive. Don't let what you read fool you. There's birds to be found in the Panhandle.

https://flic.kr/p/2bt94Hp
Absolutely there are birds to be found. Despite the ODW report, I personally saw a hatch in October while driving in my hunt areas. The official report questioned if there were gong to be quail numbers increase.
The road surveys are questionable but that is all they have, and they admitted there may be some issues with the lush vegetation that didn't allow proper documentation.

Reactions: Bird (this time)
#29 ·
I’d heard the numbers were down in that that area. The Panhandle seems to have maintained though.

#30 · (Edited)
I took Max the new pup and old Tucker out to Copan the other day. It took the third stop before finding what I think is good cover, but by then Tucker was done and young Max was near done as well.
We had a good run with Max continuing to show promise. He is bold and gets out there plenty at 4 months. No birds were killed or shot at, but we did take the opportunity to move beyond primered hulls to 16 gauge lights and Max only came to attention--no fear, no flinch. All is well.
I was hoping to find some birds, but that is alright--plenty of time.
Tucker locked up once, but I could tell by his posture it was old scent. The good news is little Max backed him. A pretty and welcome sight.
Every moment is a learning experience for a puppy and each to be cherished.
Sorry--I'm terrible wit pictures.
All of this western stuff is so new and exciting. Lots to figure out for this NH Yankee Grouse and Woodcock hunter.
Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree Grass
Sky Plant Natural landscape Agriculture Grass

#31 ·
Great to hear your pup is doing well.
Be sure to check the individual refs for WMA’s and COE properties around some lakes. They don’t allow bird hunting until after the 9 day gun season is over.

Reactions: Settertude
#32 · (Edited)
I was back at them today. I took a new friend out on some private land and we found 4 coveys.

He brought a hard charging Brittany, Rex and a beautiful young Pudelpointer, Holly. We had a great day.

I shot all three birds and caught some really good video. I'll post it tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.