New shotgun advice

New shotgun advice

This is a discussion on New shotgun advice within the Upland Game Birds forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Ok, I'm thinking pretty seriously about adding a new (at least to me) shotgun to the dance card. I hunt with a 20 ga. DeHaan ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelulu
  • 2 Post By okbob
  • 1 Post By dennishoddy
  • 3 Post By Kelulu

Thread: New shotgun advice

Member #
    Liked
    422 times

New shotgun advice

Ok, I'm thinking pretty seriously about adding a new (at least to me) shotgun to the dance card.

I hunt with a 20 ga. DeHaan double most of the time. I also have a Browning A5 Light 20 that my father gave me and a vintage English Sidelock in 12 ga. that I bought ten years ago. I also have a Benelli pump gun in 12 ga. for waterfowl.

I want at least one more

I've been looking at the Benelli Ethos in 28 ga., the Beretta A400 in 28 ga., the Browning A5 in 16 ga. or a Rizzini Aurum in 16 ga. (probably used if I can find it). I'd also consider a vintage European (Belgium, German or Czech) 16 ga. double in the right setup.

Ethos is approx $2200, A400 is approx $1600 and comes in a 28" barrel (which isn't available from Benelli). The A5 is pretty plain but the money is right at approx $1750. The Aurum is a pretty plain O/U but extremely well built. New they are $3500 but I can get a used on for $2500 if I get lucky. The vintage guns are a bit of crap shoot.

Which? Where? and why?
    Bullbuster likes this.
    And why, today, remember misses?

--Ernest Hemingway--

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2348 times
    You want a 16 or 28g? You gonna reload for either? Start with that and narrow down your choices. I only have 12s.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times
    I've shot both the Ethos and A400 in 28g, you won't be disappointed in either, that said I'll take a Beretta over a Benelli any day. I shot skeet and sporting clays forever with a Spanish made 16g O/U. Told myself when I wore it out I'd just replace it with a 12g do to ammo. And that's what I did and haven't regretted it. We have a sporting clay fundraiser for my kids school and guys bring all varieties and brands of shotguns. Everyone is usually willing to let others try them out, so I take advantage of it lol.
    kwaynem and dennishoddy like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    I pulled the trigger 74 times last year on 130 coveys. I can even tell you how many I killed but I won't Killing them all is not really my priority these days but I get a lot of satisfaction from killing most of the ones I choose to shoot at.

A flat of 28's or 16's from Gene Sears every other year pretty much covers my ammo needs. Frankly the only reason I'm considering a new gun is to experiment with a new gauge in the field. I certainly don't need another shotgun.

Why do you prefer the A400 Bob? I like that it's available in a 28" barrel but it is frankly ugly as sin.

At my price point ($2500) I've not got a lot of choices in doubles or O/U's unless I buy a gun with an aluminum receiver (which I won't).

--Ernest Hemingway--

Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    Looks like Beretta makes a nice little O/U in 28 (the 686). I could get into one of those at my price point.

Any experience with that gun?

--Ernest Hemingway--

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelulu View Post
    Looks like Beretta makes a nice little O/U in 28 (the 686). I could get into one of those at my price point.

Any experience with that gun?
    Only 686 I've fired was in a 20g. I'm strictly an O/U guy. I had an A400Xcel 12g for my wife and kids, the blue receiver Beretta. It ate recoil like no other, zero malfunctions, would shoot any load. Only got rid of it because both kids started shooting SKB O/U in their shooting sports and I didn't need it any more. All the guys I duck hunt with either used Benelli or Beretta, and over the years they've all migrated to the Berettas for reliability, I do all my waterfowl hunting (the dirty work) with a Fausti O/U that I bought in the mid 90's. Finally had to put a set of firing pins and springs in it year before last. Do all my shooting sports with a Browning Cynergy, one of the newer ones, the stock isn't quite so radial as the first generation of those. Pretty sure they make a Cynergy in 28g and .410 as well. Beretta O/U are widely used in shooting sports, I've not come across any failures as of yet whether sporting clays are when the kids are shooting registered trap.

Member #
    Liked
    3170 times
    I'm a big fan of 16 ga. Ammo is more expensive than a 12 ga but I like shooting the oddball gauges. The Browning sweet 16 is my favorite shotgun to take to the field. That shotgun and I are like a matched pair. When something flies, it usually dies.
    There is a Winchester Model 12 in 16 ga in the safe dated 1928 but it doesn't get shot much. When shooting clays the Browning Citori Upland goes with me but its 12 ga.
    okbob likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    I called Gene Sears Supply today and had them order me an A400 Xplore in 28 gauge. Dealt with Jim Sears and it was smooth and pleasant. Nice man and super knowledgeable. He said it’s a good time to buy a gun.

--Ernest Hemingway--

Member #
    Liked
    3170 times
    I've only shot one 28 ga and it was a yaldiz OU. The stock just wasn't right for me. The front sight was always high when shouldering.

Congrats on the A400!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson