Naming a Bird Dog

Naming a Bird Dog

This is a discussion on Naming a Bird Dog within the Upland Game Birds forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Thought some of you folks might appreciate this article: https://wrightoutdoors.wordpress.com...at-dogll-hunt/...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By wrightoutdoors
  • 3 Post By Bird (this time)
  • 2 Post By dennishoddy
  • 4 Post By Kelulu

Thread: Naming a Bird Dog

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Naming a Bird Dog

Thought some of you folks might appreciate this article:

https://wrightoutdoors.wordpress.com...at-dogll-hunt/
    Bird (this time) likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1496 times
    Bird dog names, like good cuss words, have to be one syllable names. I had a buddy who let his wife name one of his bird dogs. She named it Beauty and forever it was called Beaut.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    3395 times
    My first Brittany was named Dammit. He was a bird hunter for himself.
    In the yard I could use hand commands to direct him any place there was a wing to retrieve.
    When the field, he was in charge until I got training collars.No problem afterwards.
    Second Britt was a female called Brittney because the neighbor girl thought that was a cool name. She was a good house dog, not so much a field dog for hunting.
    The last was Gunner. He would curl up in my lap every evening and hunt birds in the morning. Kids could roll all over him without him uttering a growl.
    Had to put down many dogs over the years, but Gunner was like losing a child. He was special.
    Our dogs are family members.
    Bird (this time) and kwaynem like this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    My first Brittany was named Dammit. He was a bird hunter for himself.
    In the yard I could use hand commands to direct him any place there was a wing to retrieve.
    When the field, he was in charge until I got training collars.No problem afterwards.
    Second Britt was a female called Brittney because the neighbor girl thought that was a cool name. She was a good house dog, not so much a field dog for hunting.
    The last was Gunner. He would curl up in my lap every evening and hunt birds in the morning. Kids could roll all over him without him uttering a growl.
    Had to put down many dogs over the years, but Gunner was like losing a child. He was special.
    Our dogs are family members.
    You're right there. Had to put a dog down just before Christmas. He was 15, and I still miss him.

Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    I've had several bird dog through the years. I prefer one syllable names and now just generally refer to them as "Dog" when working afield.

Gunny- same in the field,
    Scarlet - Scar in the field,
    Rhett - Retro in the field,
    Ellie Mae - Ellie in the field, and
    Dottie - Dot in the field.

Working with bird dogs has taught me so much. First it has taught me humility. When I started I thought I knew more than the dog. Now I'm sure I don't. It has also taught me patience because the dog, who knows more than the handler, usually knows what he/she is doing although the handler doesn't and it takes patience to let the dog reveal his/her motivation. Finally, having bird dogs has taught me to be more self-aware. Arrogance and stupidity ruins more good bird dogs than anything else and I've learned to keep my mouth shut, the whistle out of my mouth and my hand off the shock controller because I now understand that screaming, whistling and shocking are reflections of my own deficiencies instead of those of my dogs. A dog's love is constant and pure and their actions are almost always in conformity with their love for their handlers. Look to yourself first if you feel that your bird dog less than compliant and see what you can change about yourself. Both you and the dog will be glad you did.

And why, today, remember misses?

--Ernest Hemingway--

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Well said, Kelulu!

Member #
    Liked
    1610 times
    My grandpa coached high school football and raised Chesapeake Retrievers all his life. His ball players and dogs all had the same nasty, gnarling attitudes. A few of his best dogs were Coach, Knute, Bo, Woody and Rockne. Not sure why but he never hunted his female dogs he raised. He kept 1 or 2 to raise pups and never named them. I saw several of them and they were every bit as nice as his males.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    [QUOTE=murphranch;124110]My grandpa coached high school football and raised Chesapeake Retrievers all his life. His ball players and dogs all had the same nasty, gnarling attitudes. A few of his best dogs were Coach, Knute, Bo, Woody and Rockne. Not sure why but he never hunted his female dogs he raised. He kept 1 or 2 to raise pups and never named them. I saw several of them and they were every bit as nice as his males.

Great names for bird dogs!