Black Kettle Recommendations

This is a discussion on Black Kettle Recommendations within the Turkey Hunting forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; I briefly hunted Black Kettle last season and had some minor success locating birds. Can anyone offer tips on what to look for when selecting ...

Member #

I briefly hunted Black Kettle last season and had some minor success locating birds.

Can anyone offer tips on what to look for when selecting units to hunt? I’ve been looking for water, creek bottoms, timber, etc.

Anyone willing to recommend units they’ve seen birds on? Even just a rough region or terrain feature to look for?

Any info would be awesome! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2897 times
    First of all, welcome to Outdoor Oklahoma!
    I haven’t hunted that area, but I know some serious scouting is in order.
    I know a lot of folks scout at night when the wind dies down and it gets quiet. Drive the roads around the WMA, stop every 1/2 mile and let out some gobbles or crow calls to see if you get some shock gobbles. Once you know where the roost is, then come back in the daylight and look for feeding areas.
    Good luck!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    923 times
    Almost as important as the unit, is the time of the season you hunt there. According to the Oklahoma hunting and turkey hunting FB pages, there's going to be about 30k out of state hunters there opening week!!!!! lol Not that many I'm sure buy it seems to be the primary out of state destination for both in state and out of state folks. Don't over look midday/afternoon hunts and also the last two weeks of the season. Bird numbers are supposedly down, as they are across the area in general.