New Turkey bag limits for the upcoming season

This is a discussion on New Turkey bag limits for the upcoming season within the Turkey Hunting forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commissioners voted to reduce or alter wild turkey hunting bag limits in large areas of western Oklahoma during their regular June 17 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New Turkey bag limits for the upcoming season

Member #
    Liked
    3253 times

Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commissioners voted to reduce or alter wild turkey hunting bag limits in large areas of western Oklahoma during their regular June 17 meeting in Oklahoma City.

Starting this fall, turkey gun hunters will be allowed to harvest one tom only in the 14 counties that previously permitted either-sex harvest. Archery hunters will still be allowed one turkey of either sex statewide in the fall.

Next spring, all counties outside the Southeast Region will have a one tom limit. The spring turkey season limit remains unchanged at three toms. None of the changes made will affect existing regulations in the Southeast Region for turkey hunting, where the season limit is one tom turkey for all eight counties combined.

Chief of Wildlife Bill Dinkines told Commissioners declining turkey numbers during the past two years, especially in southwestern Oklahoma, prompted the bag limit changes.

Also during Wednesday’s meeting, Commissioners voted to immediately prohibit all recreational hunting of feral swine on four wildlife management areas: Kaw, Sandy Sanders, Hackberry Flat, and Waurika. The prohibition supports efforts of the Feral Swine Eradication and Control Pilot Program operated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in those areas. Officials said eradication efforts in those areas will be more effective without feral hog hunting.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2406 times
    That’s one thing I will the most about hunting OK is turkey. It’s a draw only system here and they are only found in the east/ northeast part of the state.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    3253 times
    Turkey numbers are down in the SW part of the state. More than likely from the extended drought they went through.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    We have seen more turkeys here the last 2 spring season than before. But it is the public land is the hardest to hunt because of all the pressure of over hunting.
    Bullbuster likes this.
    U.S. ARMY (Retired)
    I love to hunt and fish and most of all spending time with my family after I get home from hunting and fishing.

Founder of the Wichita Mountain Waterfowlers established 2012.

Member #
    Liked
    2406 times
    Give it a year or two and they may bounce back. I wouldn’t count on it to be a forever numbers change.
    baby likes this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    1432 times
    Well that last paragraph on the hog hunting isn't great news.
    kwaynem likes this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    1017 times
    Turkey numbers in North central and northwestern Oklahoma have been declining for almost a decade. Entire flocks are gone. It was needed years ago.

Member #
    Liked
    3253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by okbob View Post
    Turkey numbers in North central and northwestern Oklahoma have been declining for almost a decade. Entire flocks are gone. It was needed years ago.
    We had flock of 50 or so in our yard every night 10-12 years ago. Down to small flocks of a half dozen or so now.
    The decline started at the same time a logging company came through our area and removed all the walnut, pecan and cotton wood trees that the turkey had been using for roost trees. It also coincided with the fur market collapsing so nobody was going after the nest robbers.
    Two fold problem IMHO.
    okbob and kwaynem like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1432 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    We had flock of 50 or so in our yard every night 10-12 years ago. Down to small flocks of a half dozen or so now.
    The decline started at the same time a logging company came through our area and removed all the walnut, pecan and cotton wood trees that the turkey had been using for roost trees. It also coincided with the fur market collapsing so nobody was going after the nest robbers.
    Two fold problem IMHO.
    I believe you are absolutely right. Fires, drought and I have noticed that the last several summers the grasshopper numbers haven't been very high. So I think food is a factor as well.
    baby and dennishoddy like this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    1544 times
    I put a huge dent in our future turkey population cutting our brome fields last week. I knew the hens were nesting in those fields but what’s a guy to do. Ended up hitting 3 nests and 2 fawns! UUGGHHH!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast