Prairie Dogs

Prairie Dogs

This is a discussion on Prairie Dogs within the Small - Medium Game & Varmit forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Chasing the Okie Widow lady has pulled me away from Montana to Oklahoma and completely changed my life style. Normally this time of the year ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Prairie Dogs

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    102 times

Prairie Dogs

Chasing the Okie Widow lady has pulled me away from Montana to Oklahoma and completely changed my life style. Normally this time of the year i would prepping guns for the start of upcoming gopher season. I would usually venture out January 1st looking for an early bull gopher, and would spend the next 7 months in the fields shooting gophers with the peak starting Memorial day going until about the 4th of July when the gopher would estivate. After than it wasprep time for the fall big game seasons.

Now living in Oklahoma, there no gophers, sure there is spring Turkey to get ready for but that is one bird, not the same 4000 gophers to keep me busy in the spring. Fall big game is covered.

But Ii have heard Oklahoma has prairie dogs. Where?

I have looked at the google listing for guides and may do that once. I would prefer private access if I could get.

So let me be bold.

Any one here have prairie dogs they would let me shoot?

Any here know someone with prairie dogs they would refer me to?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3679 times
    They are on my bucket list of something to hunt but just never have.
    Lots of them in the panhandle area when I drive through there.
    Years ago I heard it was easy to get permission until some outfitters from Tx went around leasing places that had big populations of dogs.
    Since then there was a plague that killed large numbers of prairie dogs and the outfitters didnít renew leases.
    I donít know what the current status is in that area to get permission currently.
    Iíll be in Montana next summer. Was it BLM lands you were hunting?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    2850 times
    We have lots and lots of prairie dogs here.
    dennishoddy likes this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011ó01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Montana-tell me where your going in Montana, right area I might have a name. Suggest you contact any Hutteritte colony. Ask for the Farm boss. Ask him if he has Gophers or Prairie dogs and some one to show you were they are. I never hunted BLM lands for anything in Montana. prairie Dogs are found more Eastern Montana, Gopher-Richardson's Ground Squirrels are more central Montana. If you go on Indian Lands you will need to get a permit. Else where no license.

Prairie dogs are shot from shooting tables-longer ranges. Gopher shot from the front seat of your truck.

If this pandamic ever get over I want to make a run up to Cut Bank and visit my old stomping grounds and make one last hunt.

But I would drive out to the OK Panhandle.

I don't have connections in Wyoming for PD's and the speed limit is to high to slow down and stop.

B
    dennishoddy and Bullbuster like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3679 times
    We donít know exactly where we will be yet. Still trying to get a schedule set up but Iíll certainly be packing some long range rifles with me.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Dennis, If you are going to Shelby-Cut Bank-Glacier Park area I can referred to retired farmer, Ernie Taft who will take you out for Gophers. He may even roll his bowling ball mortar out and shoot it . Part of the construction of my mortar was done in his shop. You should visit Glacier Park.

Gun selection for the trip are any rimfire with 17HMR the favorite. A good scope a must. Short centerfires such as Hornet and Bee family. I have used .223 on gophers but find it just to much gun. Most shots for gophers are under 100 yards, a few further and challenging. Shooting done from the front seat of the pick-up.

I have no contacts for prairie dogs. But I would call around to County extension agents and ask for referrals to ranches who allow prairies dog shooting. Two area's I would look are around Jordan MT and Miles city MT. Black-tailed Prairie Dog - Montana Field Guide

Perhaps Steve-ballbuster can find you some in WY on your way north, or back south

Guns for Prairie Dogs 6MM and smaller. Everybody who shoots Prairie dogs for the first time always bring their deer rifle. You have to do it one time and learn there is is deer shooting accuracy and there is varmint shooting accuracy. Shooting prairie dogs is mostly done from the bench.

Lots of AR's showing up in the gopher patch and Prairie dog towns. First thing you will learn is you need short magazine or the clunky box will hang up on everything. Next you learn that accuracy is marginal for varmints with these guns.

Right now my varmint battery consists of a Ruger 77V 22-250 with a Tasco World class 6-24 AO, Remington 700 VLS, 223 with Leupold 4-12 AO, a bull barrel AR .223 with a Leupold 4-12 AO and bunch (6 or 8) of Martini single shots in .17 HM2 , .17HMR, 17 Hornaday Hornet, .22 LR, and .219 Donaldson Wasp. There is also a Remington 581 and a Ruger 10-22 in .22LR. The 581 has lot of miles on it. The 10-22 not as much. They all wear some sort Target/Varmint scope some fixed, some variable, Most Simmons covering a range with 6 X in and most set on 6.

10-22's are popular guns for gophers, but you have to decide if you want to shoot a lot and or kill gophers. My friends who shoot 10-22's always laugh at me and my single shot as I shot one single shot a time. I try to not smirk to much as I am shooting one single shot after another as my friends are sitting there loading magazines. It's not lost on them that I am also shooting one shot per gopher to their 2 or 3 shoots per gopher.

There is also a shortened 98 Mauser single shot chambered in 219 Donaldson Wasp that weighs 17 lbs in my battery. This gun gets drug out every now and again to shoot long range rock chucks. I used this gun to get in the old Varmint Hunter Association's 500 yard club. But, I bet I haven't shot it in 20 years. It is lot of work to set up

It probably been 15-20years since the 22-250 has been shoot. The Remington 700 maybe 15 years ago. . The AR, I shoot 5-6 years ago a couple of times, the rest of the time it sits in the back seat as a back up-coyote gun and never gets used.

One BSA 1215 in 17HM2 has fired at least 16,000 rounds before I switched to 17HMR.

The 17HM2 is a good and very accurate gun out to 100 yard. I have made shot further with the gun , but not easily

The 17HMR extends the range out to 200. My main 17HMR has over 5,000 rounds through it

The last year I hunted gophers in Montana I used a 1215 in 17 Hornady Hornet. If I were still living in Montana I think this gun would be my new favorite. I would have to set up my Dillion to reload for me. Head shots on gophers at 100 yard, easy peasy.

I built two of these BSA in 17HHornet one a 1215 and and the other model 12. I let Jane borrow it. She won't give it back.

So Dennis if you are going to Glacier park area definitely make contact with my friend Ernie and he will entertain you well. Let me know and i will make the introductions. He could use the company he lost his wife of 55 year in November.

Yes, correct, I miss Montana and gopher shooting.

So please some one point me to Oklahoma Prairie Dogs!

Member #
    Liked
    3679 times
    For sure Iíll be taking .22 rf, .17 HMR, 22-250 and .223.
    You might contact the area biologist and game wardens in Tx and Cimmaron counties to see if there are any public lands like the Cimmaron National Grasslands or WMAís in that area that hold Prairie dogs. They may even have a name of someone local that would appreciate some eradication help.

Member #
    Liked
    2850 times
    OK has OLAP and may be able to get some up places up in the panhandle.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011ó01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    3679 times
    Kansas has WIHA, walk in hunting areas. Lots of them in SW Ks where there are populations of prairie dogs.

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Dennis,

Bring lots and lots of ammo, extra and twice as much as you think you need may not be enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast