Surprising hog encounter

Surprising hog encounter

This is a discussion on Surprising hog encounter within the Wild Hogs forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; So today my dad and I decided to walk around on our hunting property and have some fun shooting squirrels. Funny thing is we decided ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Surprising hog encounter

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Surprising hog encounter

So today my dad and I decided to walk around on our hunting property and have some fun shooting squirrels. Funny thing is we decided to bring our shotguns, funny thing is we didn’t see what we were originally hunting for, just hogs!, I’m just slowly strolling through some trees and I hear some leaves rustle and decide to stop and listen for awhile. My dad is about 50 yards to my left and he’s looking for squirrels and any possible sheds. As soon as my dad starts to say something about 5 hogs come walking towards me, around 30ish yards away from me, and all I have is 6 shot but that doesn’t stop me I unload on em and they take off! My 12g Stoeger barely manages to draw a couple of droplets of blood but that’s all. Relatively impressive for using 6shot! But in the end, we should’ve brought the trusty 30-30 but it was still fun spending time with the old man.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2806 times
    Yeah, at thirty yards #6 shot won't do much to a pig, but at least you probably ran them off the property for awhile.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    gonna put a hog trap out soon! Any good ideas on where to buy an affordable one?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2806 times

Surprising hog encounter

Most folks I know build them with cattle panels.
    One friend monitors his trap with a cell game cam so he can watch it in real time, and has developed a trigger on the gate he can drop when the entire sounder is inside via a cell signal.
    I’ve seen pics of his 3/4 ton pickup sagging under the weight of dead pigs.
    kwaynem likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1212 times
    Gauge and I got a hog with HeviShot turkey loads once when pig interrupted a turkey hunt.
    kwaynem likes this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    2080 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird (this time) View Post
    Gauge and I got a hog with HeviShot turkey loads once when pig interrupted a turkey hunt.
    Well gauge is the luckiest SOB hunter I know. Only hunter I’ve even heard of to ever fill get his goose & duck limit AND (if that’s not enough) then from the same blind (shooting Hevi-shot) shot a deer followed by a hog.
    Bird (this time) likes this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Hahaha you kidding us?? What a story that would be

Member #
    Liked
    1212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    Well gauge is the luckiest SOB hunter I know. Only hunter I’ve even heard of to ever fill get his goose & duck limit AND (if that’s not enough) then from the same blind (shooting Hevi-shot) shot a deer followed by a hog.
    I was driving us from a turkey hunt and Gauge hollers "Pull over, pull over , there's a tom." Yep, a freshly killed (by what we never figured out) tom in a bar ditch. I speculate it had heard that Gauge was in the area and died of natural causes.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Haha just killed over

Member #
    Liked
    2080 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Sits In The Woods View Post
    Hahaha you kidding us?? What a story that would be
    Gauge is a lucky hunter. Hell of a shot ta boot.
    Bird (this time) likes this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast