Some WMA’s to eliminate sport hunting for hogs.

This is a discussion on Some WMA’s to eliminate sport hunting for hogs. within the Wild Hogs forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; During Okla Dept of Wildlife Wednesday’s meeting, Commissioners voted to immediately prohibit all recreational hunting of feral swine on four wildlife management areas: Kaw, Sandy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Some WMA’s to eliminate sport hunting for hogs.

Member #
    Liked
    3253 times

During Okla Dept of Wildlife Wednesday’s meeting, Commissioners voted to immediately prohibit all recreational hunting of feral swine on four wildlife management areas: Kaw, Sandy Sanders, Hackberry Flat, and Waurika. The prohibition supports efforts of the Feral Swine Eradication and Control Pilot Program operated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in those areas. Officials said eradication efforts in those areas will be more effective without feral hog hunting.

Here is a link to the Feral Swine Eradication mentioned above.

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal...rcseprd1461219
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I hate to sound like a D-bag, but I hope that they realize that the states could MAKE money off of recreational feral hog removal...instead of wasting huge amounts of it on a program that yet again limits outdoor sporting opportunities in multiple states.

I hope it fails and numbers explode even more...this coming from a guy who just spent six hours bouncing over old hog damage in his hay meadow.
    kwaynem and dennishoddy like this.

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    1167 times
    This makes no sense hogs are a nuisance and destroy our public lands everywhere not to mention the private lands that surrounds it now they have a place to hide

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3253 times
    From what I can gather the USDA controls feral swine in Ok, not the ODW although the ODW does help enforce the regulations.
    The USDA needs a pig population that is undisturbed to try different methods of eradication.
    Trapping, helicopters or what ever. Kaw lake and 4 other WMA’s along the Red River are the target areas for this pilot project.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Member #
    Liked
    1544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    From what I can gather the USDA controls feral swine in Ok, not the ODW although the ODW does help enforce the regulations.
    The USDA needs a pig population that is undisturbed to try different methods of eradication.
    Trapping, helicopters or what ever. Kaw lake and 4 other WMA’s along the Red River are the target areas for this pilot project.
    I don't care if they bring in the National Gaurd, Navy Seals and all the mall cops in Oklahoma they won't get ahead of the hogs on the north end of Kaw lake to Ark City along the Arkansas River.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    kwaynem and dennishoddy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2406 times
    Sounds like someone’s pocket just got highly fat with an under the table paycheck. Never made sense to me that the government would rather spend money on something than make money on it unless it’s a pocket. It’s like when I was stationed in VA and you could hunt about a half dozen bases in and around the Norfolk/ Virginia Beach area. We service members paid good money for those exclusive rights in base licenses and fees. They closed them a down to hunting kjuand paid over $1m to a private group to come in and eradicate all the deer off the bases.
    dennishoddy likes this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    3253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by murphranch View Post
    I don't care if they bring in the National Gaurd, Navy Seals and all the mall cops in Oklahoma they won't get ahead of the hogs on the north end of Kaw lake to Ark City along the Arkansas River.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    No doubt especially since they will probably be reintroduced by the very folks that introduced them in the first place to hunt them when/if the numbers get low.
    I’ve seen pics of pigs taken up there with a clipped ear. As I’ve read, some pig hunters using dogs are catch and release. They clip the ear to show it had been released.

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    A lot of the pigs I kill here have notched ears. The local lowlife will catch them somewhere else and release them over here in hope to be able to charge someone some money for taking them on a "guided hunt". Most of those old boys don't like me because I love posting photos of me undoing their BS work. None of them have ag land, so the hogs they release never tear up their pastures and hay meadows.

Guarantee that the numbers around those WMAs explode. I'll offer my free service of pig shooting to any landowner around the area that starts taking extra damage while big Gov man gets a fat wallet out of the deal.

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    376 times
    I dont understand why someone would pay to hunt pigs when it seems like they are everywhere.

Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    I know for certain Spencer Grace (GW in Kay County) goes up in the helicopter to shoot pigs over Kaw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast