Looking to get into hog hunting - Page 2

Looking to get into hog hunting

This is a discussion on Looking to get into hog hunting within the Wild Hogs forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; It's just a personal thing for me. It may just be the people I've been exposed to who do it. I've seen some terrible things ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Looking to get into hog hunting

Member #
    Liked
    769 times
    It's just a personal thing for me. It may just be the people I've been exposed to who do it. I've seen some terrible things done to dogs. Dog didn't flush a covey of quail, shot three times with #8 bird shot until dead. Lid on the truck box dropped and the dog didn't get out to chase a coyote, shot point blank in the head while sitting in the truck box.

The next day after we knew someone running dogs for pigs on a property, we found a black/brindle pit pull and black mouth cur shot point blank in the head with collars removed on the side of the road, on either side of the property. One was cut up by either the fence or a pig and the other didn't have any obvious injuries. I assume they didn't want the vet bill and the other didn't catch/bay a pig, there's no telling.

I've just had bad experiences with several dog hunters, obviously the wrong kind of dog hunters at least, in my opinion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    479 times
    Some folks are just rotten and have no business being in the woods or in the field. I've heard the argument it's my dog I can do what I want with it and in a way I suppose it is their property but that doesn't make it ethical. I've said it a hundred times and I will say it a hundred more I'm sure, what in the world is wrong with people.

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    My neighbor hunts pigs with dogs. He likes to catch them somewhere else and then release them nearby in hopes that he can charge someone money to go hunting with him. Inevitably those hogs make it onto my property where they become YouTube stars for a few seconds. Unfortunately they usually do some damage to my land before I shoot them.

I've killed 86 pigs this year...43 of them on my 700 acres. That is a ton considering I killed 19 on my land in 2019 and 12 in the last two months of 2018 when I first got into thermal hunting.

I'll never dictate how someone else hunts...I fully believe in freedom of decision. However - in this neck of the woods - I've not met any dog hunters that I've wanted to become friends with.
    kwaynem and dennishoddy like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    1261 times
    We had dogs and didn’t have them long not a big fan of dog hunting either
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I do agree that some people use dogs for horrible reasons and that they punish them cruelly for not doing what the people want. Those people should be dealt with, I get what they’re saying it’s my dog my property but those are the people who don’t care about life period. Whether it’s human or animal and they should be put down like one too. But I agree with the use of dogs because some dogs need jobs. I’ve met people who have high end dogs that they ruined by not giving them a job. They just let them sit there and rot away. My friend for example had spent $4000 on a purebred bloodhound and one of the most beautiful hound dogs I’ve seen and he ruined him. That dog was so energetic and we actually used him a couple of times to track deer we shot, but he never used him again and the dog eventually got depressed from sitting around all day doing nothing having no job or purpose. I get it not all dogs want/need jobs but a lot of certain breeds do and hunting is a great way for them to let them blow off there steam. This is just my personal opinion, hog hunting with dogs isn’t always guaranteeing your gonna get something, it’s enjoying the outdoors with your bestfriend. That’s how I see it, no price tag is too much for safety when it involves your companion!
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3567 times
    Itís not the just few hog dog hunters that abuse their dogs.
    A guy I used to work with was always looking for a shooter dog before fall bird season.
    Asked him what a shooter dog was once.
    He said itís a bird dog he could shoot at the end of season so he didnít have to feed it after season.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Did you make him a shooter friend, so you could shoot him when done with him?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    3567 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rswink View Post
    Did you make him a shooter friend, so you could shoot him when done with him?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Letís just say he went to the bottom sewer gutter of what I consider to be a human.

Our dogs are considered part of the family.
    rswink and kwaynem like this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    479 times
    What's wrong with folks gollybum

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    I might add that my wife is a Veterinarian...and she constantly deals with guys who bring dogs in that are cut up to hell and have failed miserably at stitching them up. Most of the time the infection has set in to the point where the animal needs to be euthanized, and the dog is suffering considerably. Of course, old boy doesn't want to pay for that, so he'll haul the dog back to shoot it.

I will say, that good hog dogs CAN absolutely locate hogs that I can't with my thermal. Aside from that though, the advantage goes to thermal every other way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12