Looking to get into hog hunting

Looking to get into hog hunting

This is a discussion on Looking to get into hog hunting within the Wild Hogs forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Hello everybody My name is chance and was hoping someone may be able to help point me in a good direction. Iíve been looking into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Looking to get into hog hunting

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Red face Looking to get into hog hunting

Hello everybody My name is chance and was hoping someone may be able to help point me in a good direction. Iíve been looking into hog hunting with my dog. I only have one for now (1 year, 6 months not fully grown, Belgian Malinois) but I plan to get more dogs but not until I have her trained to help with the younger and newer pups I choose to introduce to the sport, I would like to try to run her with an already trained pack of catch dogs Or maybe even meet someone with a practice catch pen and show me a few tips and tricks of the trade, but I am new to the area and new to the sport. Therefore I haven't made any connections or contacts with anyone around the area so I figured this would be a good place to get some knowledge. I do eventually plan on putting a catch pin up in the near future. Thanks for any help in advance 👌🏻
    Bullbuster likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Not sure if a Mal is the first choice I would take, Pyrenees, Mastiff, or a Cur, a large hound. That is just my preference.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Yeah I’ve been looking into it and I already know I’m gonna get and use a Dogo Argentino as the catch dog. I was more curious as to getting her to bay, and potentially join in on the catch once the catch dogs arrive. I’ve been looking into specific breeds and those breeds you mention seem to be the top picks along with pits, ridgebacks, Dogos and a few more but I’ve seen a lot of people using BM Curs. I’m new getting into this stuff and I’ve seen where people have used there mals for it but more so on the baying end of the spectrum. They have incredible speed and I figured since they were breed to be a livestock/herding dog, and people using their athleticism to take down large people, so my thoughts were she would essentially do the same thing but with wild pigs. Just curious to what people think. Thanks for the help

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2735 times
    Can’t say I’ve even heard of anyone in OK using dogs for hogs. Not even sure the legality of it. We have several big time hog hunters on here that could answer that one. I knew a guy back in Cali that raised and used Airedale’s for hogs. Also had some for bear before that was outlawed. Good luck to you in your quest.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011ó01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    3563 times
    Running pigs is legal in Ok but you have to make sure WMAís will allow it.
    kwaynem likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Oklahoma’s WMA allows use of dogs to pursue feral pigs you just can’t do it during anytime big game hunting is going on I believe. That’s what I’ve been reading on the OKWD articles and information on their websites.
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3563 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceG650 View Post
    Oklahomaís WMA allows use of dogs to pursue feral pigs you just canít do it during anytime big game hunting is going on I believe. Thatís what Iíve been reading on the OKWD articles and information on their websites.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    2735 times
    I only shot 1 hog in OK and that was with my pistol probably 8 years ago.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011ó01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    769 times
    There are TONS of guys in OK running dogs for hogs. I've been on a couple hunts too. Honestly, I hate it. I'm not going to infringe upon someone else's hunting style, but I don't agree with hunting hogs with dogs for several reasons: they scare more hogs than they catch (the whole point of killing hogs in my opinion is to eradicate an invasive species, not make them wiser), too many dogs get hurt from pigs, and also too many dogs have been killed by property owners when dogs stray across fences chasing pigs.

I'm a dog owner and I care about them more than most humans, I'd never want to put them in harm's way. Also, I've been pig hunting an area where people run dogs constantly, I've seen too many dead dogs left on the side of the road shot by their owners after being injured by pigs or they didn't hunt, so they were shot and left.
    Bullbuster likes this.

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    479 times
    To many folks don't want to do it with the proper equipment to protect the dogs they don't want to spend the money on it or whatever their reason is. I'm fine with running pigs with dogs they are alert by nature and I can't say the dogs make them any smarter however they do learn and are very smart animals. Kind of a tough thing to take sides on it but do what you enjoy as long as your safe about it and follow the regulations in your area. I love to hear and see dogs work.
    Anyone leaving them on the side of the road ought to be dealt with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast