Recent action - Page 2

Recent action

This is a discussion on Recent action within the Wild Hogs forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Originally Posted by murphranch Try Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business they specialize in heavy straight wall cartridges Sent from my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Recent action

Member #
    Liked
    584 times
    Quote Originally Posted by murphranch View Post
    Try Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business they specialize in heavy straight wall cartridges

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good suggestion. I use their 180gr hardcast .357mag in my revolver, just haven't shot a living animal with it yet. For some reason I've never paid attention to their rifle line of ammo. I don't recall seeing their rifle line on any local shelves though either. I'll give it a look.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    980 times
    I have a 375 Winchester Magnum Big Bore 94 lever action and ammo is extremely hard to find. They fixed me up.

Member #
    Liked
    2262 times
    I have a 375 Winchester Magnum Big Bore 94 lever action and ammo is extremely hard to find. They fixed me up.

I'll bet that kicks like a mad mule.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    980 times
    Its not as bad as you would think but it will push you around. Its also loud with a different sound. Doesn't make a crack but dull loud thud!

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2262 times
    Its not as bad as you would think but it will push you around. Its also loud with a different sound. Doesn't make a crack but dull loud thud!

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    One of the guys on our elk hunt had a .375 magnum necked down to .30 cal pushing a 200 grain bullet in a bolt gun. Great big ol' case full of powder.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Member #
    Liked
    584 times
    Well, I supposed I'll kick this thread down the road a bit further. It's been a while since I've been on here and suppose I'll keep the "recent action" theme alive. I went out Labor Day weekend at the usual spots and we ended up putting 32 hogs down for a dirt nap. We didn't even realize we did so well until we saw all the buzzards the following mornings and then talked to the property owner. He called us after our three day raid on his place, shooting every pig we saw. He said we put a lot of speed bumps in his hay field. lol.

The reason we didn't think we did so hot is a lot of pigs cleared the fields. We only had maybe 10 DRT. I was using my new 6.5 grendel and I was using cheap FMJ ammo. Only maybe one that I shot was DRT. The FMJ 6.5 pinholes in and pinholes out, not a bit if yaw or tumbling. I shot one in the head, through and through and there were two pinholes on either side. In comparison to my buddy's 7.62x39 in FMJ style, which seems to yaw as soon as it hits something solid, leaving gaping holes in pigs, busting hips, ribs, and vertebrae.

So apparently, the land owner is insistent we come out there again this weekend, now that me and my buddy are back from our respective family vacations. I've got some 123gr ELD-M loaded in the grendel and I'm hoping for magnificent things. I picked up a Ruger in 450 Bushmaster too, so we'll see what happens. Apparently the file size for my pics is too big. I'll work on it and report back.
    Last edited by Archer22; 09-09-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2262 times
    Congrats on the pigs! You’ve found a honey hole and a willing landowner.

I think it all depends on the bullet. The long skinny ones will retain its forward balance better than a shorter bullet that has a tendency to yaw after hitting bone or something.
    Bird (this time) likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    584 times
    Shot another 10 or so this weekend. Of course, I failed at taking pics. Lost several in beans and tall grass after they dropped so not a lot of recoveries. This girl was over 200lbs and took a Texas heart shot, one to the front leg, and ultimated one to the noggin. Tough girl, but the 6.5 Grendel seemed to do its job. Saw lots of sows and sucklings this weekend, no boars in the bunch which was odd.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Archer22; 09-17-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2262 times
    congrats on another successful hunt!

I know the sows can be bred up to 3 times a year. Do you think the boars are in a breeding cycle and have a sow sequestered? I don't know squat about pigs so just spit balling some possibilities.
    Last edited by dennishoddy; 09-17-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    584 times
    for some reason all my pics are exceeding the file size. I figured out the image size issue. Should be corrected, see above.

After chasing those pigs up there for a couple years now, I am picking up on a trend. Around bow season we start to see a lot of sows and babies through about January and then we start seeing boars mixed in with them about February. The last couple trips out we've seen three different lone boars. All spring and summer the boars seem to be mixed in with the larger groups. One of them we shot a few weeks ago had to be pushing, if not over, 300lbs. He soaked up half a dozen 6.5G and 7.62x39 rounds and kept trucking. We opened up on him at about 50 yards away and he made it a quarter mile to the trees and disappeared.

I'm considering putting my thermal on my 450 Bushmaster I just picked up. One day we've got to drop another big boar like that 280lbER last spring.
    Last edited by Archer22; 09-17-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12