Recent action

Recent action

This is a discussion on Recent action within the Wild Hogs forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Went up to my buddy's new property hoping to fill our buck tags this weekend. We hunted Friday and Saturday. In the end, the deer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Recent action

Member #
    Liked
    586 times

Recent action

Went up to my buddy's new property hoping to fill our buck tags this weekend. We hunted Friday and Saturday. In the end, the deer hunt turned into a hog hunt. We ended up shooting 6 hogs over two days. We shot AT several more. We probably saw maybe 40 hogs total on just his quarter section. Saw a couple decent bucks chasing does, but nothing worth shooting.

We've got a bunch more pics and videos if I can get them from his phone to put on here. These three pics are only from the two we shot Saturday. A few got under the fence so there were no recoveries.

My sow we guessed weighed about 170-180lbs and his about 150. We shot three sows with new babies in tow and a couple younger boars. His new place is nuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Archer22; 11-27-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    okbob, mike miller, baby and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1872 times
    While not venison it’s still food for the freezer. Congrats on the eats.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    2339 times
    Nice job. Kill em all!!
    Settertude likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    965 times
    Good shooting!
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    340 times
    Awesome!!!!
    U.S. ARMY (Retired)
    I love to hunt and fish and most of all spending time with my family after I get home from hunting and fishing.

Founder of the Wichita Mountain Waterfowlers established 2012.

Member #
    Liked
    586 times
    I want to give a plug to Remington on those Hog Hammer loads for my .30-30. I was shooting those in 150 grain Barnes Triple Shock flat nose hollow point. I had a STEEP quartering away shot on that sow at about 80 yards. Although I didn't get a pass through, that bullet got the heart and opposite lung and did some wicked internal damage. She got maybe 40 yards before expiring. My buddy was skeptical about me using my .30-30 on such big hogs, it did the job really well. My buddy was using his .300 Win Mag and was taking head shots. He likes overkill.

I just wanted to add that because caliber and load selection always seems to be debated when it comes to hog hunting and I wanted to add my experience. I don't feel under-gunned at all with my .30-30.

Member #
    Liked
    586 times
    Here are some more pics from the past couple weekends up there.
    kwaynem and baby like this.

Member #
    Liked
    586 times
    Since I was posting in the contest section and I can't claim these for points I'll add them to my thread here. These were more pictures basically up until February. I'll try to add more, I'll actually carry my phone this time.

Member #
    Liked
    586 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer22 View Post
    I want to give a plug to Remington on those Hog Hammer loads for my .30-30. I was shooting those in 150 grain Barnes Triple Shock flat nose hollow point. I had a STEEP quartering away shot on that sow at about 80 yards. Although I didn't get a pass through, that bullet got the heart and opposite lung and did some wicked internal damage. She got maybe 40 yards before expiring. My buddy was skeptical about me using my .30-30 on such big hogs, it did the job really well. My buddy was using his .300 Win Mag and was taking head shots. He likes overkill.

I just wanted to add that because caliber and load selection always seems to be debated when it comes to hog hunting and I wanted to add my experience. I don't feel under-gunned at all with my .30-30.

I was just browsing through my old post and thought I'd provide an update on the performance of that .30-30 round. I figured this out later and never posted it up. That steep quartering shot on that sow resulted in that Hog Hammer going in right in front of her hip and exiting out the opposite side of her neck. It was only about a golf-ball sized exit wound, but after traveling about the entire length of the sow on the inside, I'm impressed it exited at all. That is some amazing penetration on a tough animal from a .30-30. Only down side is I have one box left and I haven't seen that available at my local stores as of late. Highly recommend.
    kwaynem, dennishoddy and okbob like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1008 times
    Try www.buffalobore.com they specialize in heavy straight wall cartridges

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    okbob likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast