Summer Plot

Summer Plot

This is a discussion on Summer Plot within the Hunting forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; What is everyone planting for summer food plots?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Summer Plot

Member #
    Liked
    43 times

Summer Plot

What is everyone planting for summer food plots?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    562 times
    Looks like I've got mostly bermuda with some zoysia, if I remember correctly. I had a real good crop last year, but the deer don't seem to like it much. Can't get a single deer on camera for some reason, I'm also in the middle of OKC though so that doesn't help any. lol. jk
    Bird (this time) likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2016 times
    The farmers around my hunting spots plant summer plots for me.
    okbob likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    690 times
    Hemp!!! Lol just kidding my place is in lingo right now
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    ya we have thousands of acres of crop all around where we hunt. and I know a 1 acres food plot in the summer probably wont do much but I think my uncle who gets out there and plants it gets bored so ill let him do it. I was thinking soybeans or cowpeas. he wants to do milo but there is a lot of milo already around.

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    I am going to try some chickory (sp)

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    690 times
    The place I have is on the river and all sand it’s pretty good at growing goat heads
    Bird (this time) likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2016 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A.johnson View Post
    ya we have thousands of acres of crop all around where we hunt. and I know a 1 acres food plot in the summer probably wont do much but I think my uncle who gets out there and plants it gets bored so ill let him do it. I was thinking soybeans or cowpeas. he wants to do milo but there is a lot of milo already around.
    The thing with planting soy beans, peas, or milo is that when the deer eat it, it's done. Of course that all depends on how many deer you have that frequent the food plot. I put in 17 acres of milo once and the deer had stripped every head by December, but there were a lot of deer that traveled to that plot during the hunting season.

I don't know much about chicory, but a friend plants it and it continues to grow after being browsed by deer. In the fall I plant wheat, some plant the buck forage oats. I've tried the oats and didn't get anymore activity on oats than the wheat, although your experience may be different.
    I think the hunting spots depend more on the right cover and water access with the food plots being an attractant to draw them in and keep them around during hunting seasons. Good cover being the key element that doesn't get trampled on by humans.
    kwaynem and Bird (this time) like this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    I think I’ll just let him plant whatever he can get. Not as concerned with a summer plot as i will be for the fall plot. Last year we had a pretty good fall plot. Got a mix from a place in El Reno that did pretty well. I just looked and they have a spring mix that has cowpeas, soybeans, mungbeans, and sorghum. May give that a try.
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    I've got all my lanes and trails mowed and sowed with chicory and vetch. Getting ready to work the big summer plot and plant Whitetail Institute's Power Plant. It's a really good mix for cover and forage. It's really popular so you have to pre order in the winter because it sells out fast.
    dennishoddy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast