Prairie chicken hunting in Ok.

This is a discussion on Prairie chicken hunting in Ok. within the Hunting forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; It's been many years since it's been legal to hunt the chickens in Oklahoma. I was browsing another forum tonight and saw a question about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Prairie chicken hunting in Ok.

Member #
    Liked
    2181 times

It's been many years since it's been legal to hunt the chickens in Oklahoma. I was browsing another forum tonight and saw a question about this.
    Upon doing some research, I found that some say the numbers of chickens aren't threatened at all, but it may be something political.

Murphsranch may be the definitive answer to this question. Are chicken numbers increasing? I loved making that hunt annually for many years.

ENVIRONMENTAL activists continue to demand that the lesser prairie chicken be declared “threatened” or “endangered” under the federal Endangered Species Act, which would impose restrictions that severely curtail much economic activity in rural Oklahoma. Those activists want this change despite accumulating evidence the bird is rapidly increasing in number.

This was reinforced again this month when the Western Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies announced results of its latest annual breeding population survey. It showed an increase of about 30 percent in the chicken population over the previous year.

“The most encouraging result from the survey is the steadily increasing population trend over the last six years, which likely reflects improving habitat conditions,” said Roger Wolfe, the lesser prairie chicken program manager with WAFWA.

The growth of the lesser prairie chicken has been ongoing since 2013 when major drought conditions began to subside across the bird's native range, which includes northwestern Oklahoma.

The year 2013 is significant because prior federal efforts to grant the lesser prairie chicken additional protected status under the Endangered Species Act were tied to those drought conditions.

Lawsuits challenging the ESA classification of the chicken noted the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service concluded a “population crash” was underway based almost exclusively on a one-year decline observed from 2012 to 2013, while ignoring survey data from the 1960s, 1980 and 2003.

In fact, one lawsuit pointed out the federal wildlife service claimed an 84 percent decline in the area occupied by the lesser prairie chicken based on a “historic range” that “predates European settlement of the Great Plains.” Yet the agency's own documents showed that between 1980 and 2012, the chicken's occupied range increased 159 percent.

A federal judge eventually ruled the Obama administration's efforts to declare the lesser prairie chicken “threatened” under the federal Endangered Species Act were done “arbitrarily and capriciously.” He found the fish and wildlife service “failed to properly apply” its own policies for evaluating state conservation efforts “resulting in material error.”

Under the voluntary plan implemented by Oklahoma and three other states, more than $64 million in enrollment and mitigation fees has been provided for conservation actions, and landowners have agreed to conserve more than 150,000 acres of habitat through 10-year and permanent conservation agreements.

Yet at the urging of several environmental groups, the wildlife service is conducting still another species-status review of the lesser prairie chicken and is expected to issue a ruling later this year.

The “threatened” designation is meant to help preserve species whose chances of long-term survival are bleak without action. At this point, it's clear the lesser prairie chicken doesn't fall into the category and no federal intervention is required.

Federal officials should concede the obvious and deny requests to give the chicken new legal protections. A decision to the contrary would show the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service isn't trying to save birds but is instead trying to throttle economic activity in rural areas.

https://newsok.com/article/5602450/p...pending-demise
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    My dogs pointed one single prairie chicken this past season. That is fewer than I've seen in seasons past. My discussions with local ranchers indicate the numbers were up this year. Most of the locals are really close-lipped about PC due to the politics.

A really short season, maybe 5-7 days, would be okay with me. It might bring more hunters out our way and hunters generate revenue.
    dennishoddy and kwaynem like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelulu View Post
    My dogs pointed one single prairie chicken this past season. That is fewer than I've seen in seasons past. My discussions with local ranchers indicate the numbers were up this year. Most of the locals are really close-lipped about PC due to the politics.

A really short season, maybe 5-7 days, would be okay with me. It might bring more hunters out our way and hunters generate revenue.
    I'd go for that even.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    733 times
    I miss the late 70’s
    Bird (this time) likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2181 times
    It was truly an experience back then. A shooter on every fence post, the cafe and gas station in Grainola got more business in that season than most of a year and so on

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    733 times
    I remember the first one I shot I wounded and chased that sucker for a mile before I got it
    dennishoddy and okbob like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1796 times
    Back in the day when hunters were welcomed and not frowned upon. When it was publically promoted and everyone wanted in on it. I was born in 78 so what would I know about the glory days right.....
    kwaynem likes this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    824 times
    My only chickens were killed with a sxs .410 that a friend of my dad's owned. Missed way more than I hit of course. A few years ago I learned that the .410 was a 1940 Winchester Model 21.......... gulp.
    kwaynem and Bird (this time) like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2181 times
    Nice shotgun. Bet you wish you still had it!

There was every gun from .410 to 10 ga goose guns with incredibly long barrels.
    When a flock approached a fence line with a hunter standing at every fence post, there would be a barrage of shots go off way before they were in range and continue nonstop way after they were out of range.
    Then you would stand there and hear the pellets falling out of the sky hitting the ground around you.
    It was crazy times.

Member #
    Liked
    2181 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    Back in the day when hunters were welcomed and not frowned upon. When it was publically promoted and everyone wanted in on it. I was born in 78 so what would I know about the glory days right.....
    I’ve hunted some of the small towns in Ks near the walk in hunting areas.
    Big signs on restaurant windows and hotel marquees saying Welcome Hunters!
    Motels provide kennels, and some have bird cleaning areas.
    Hunters bring in big money and sales tax returns.
    They like us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast