Thermal? - Page 2

Thermal?

This is a discussion on Thermal? within the Hunting forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Try amazon if you haven’t already. I still get amazed at what can be found on that site....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Thermal?

Member #
    Liked
    2151 times
    Try amazon if you haven’t already. I still get amazed at what can be found on that site.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    294 times
    folks preach Amazon all the time, i havent foubd a great deal on it yet. Got $10 off a scope one time

Member #
    Liked
    2897 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Sits In The Woods View Post
    folks preach Amazon all the time, i havent foubd a great deal on it yet. Got $10 off a scope one time
    I find a lot of products cheaper than amazon even with the prime shipping.
    Sometimes Amazon is the cheapest but if I need it fast it's always Amazon Prime.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    When I buy guns I use Impact Guns. They usually have the best price on the items i want. When I buys scopes I always use Optics Planet they always have the best deal. Might check them out. Never searched for thermal equipment on there.

Member #
    Liked
    2151 times
    No such thing as overnight or priority shipping here even with prime. Roads are closed so much during the winter that often times deliveries can’t come or go for days at a time. When it arrives it arrives.

BTW Dennis do you know if those stickers I sent you arrived? I know you said you would be out of contact on that for a few.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    2897 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    No such thing as overnight or priority shipping here even with prime. Roads are closed so much during the winter that often times deliveries can’t come or go for days at a time. When it arrives it arrives.

BTW Dennis do you know if those stickers I sent you arrived? I know you said you would be out of contact on that for a few.
    Yes, they came in the mail. Thanks!
    Bullbuster likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    683 times
    Opticsplanet for sure. Make sure you check often on pricing because it can fluctuate during any given day. If there is free 2 day shipping in the morning, it may be 15% off in the afternoon. Pulsar, however, appears to suffer from MAP pricing and very rarely show up on sale. Armasight, Flir, and ATNs go on sale every once in a while, especially clearance models from the previous year(s).

I got my Sig Echo 1 for under $1K when the original MSRP was $2400 on opticsplanet.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Sorry to be late, but just joined.

All thermal products suffer from MAP pricing, unless the vendor is willing to give up his/her contract with the manufacturer.

FLIR and Armasight are NO LONGER BEING MADE. FLIR purchased Armasight, and now FLIR has decided to stop making rifle scopes for the civilian market. It was a real shame in that Armasight was a good company with excellent customer service. FLIR's customer service is difficult. FLIR had screwed up with their problematic RS line of rifle scopes and tried to infuse new life into their offerings by melding Armasight's features with their own and coming out with the PTS line of thermal rifle scopes, only they were banking on their new BOSON thermal cores which were 12 micron and could only get the 320 resolution cores to work and could never get the 640 resolution cores to work. Finally, they gave up. FLIR is currently honoring warranties, but if you find any Armasight or FLIR rifles that are new, I would not suggest buying them unless you got a smokin' great deal.

Pulsar has the best scopes for the money and has excellent customer service.

ATN can make good stuff, but frequently their QC is poor and their customer service can be a nightmare.

Trijicon and N-Vision make the best commercially common scopes under $10K, both using the BAE core. Based on personal experience, Trijicon has excellent customer service.

Bering Optics is new to the thermal game and has a couple low end offerings. Their scopes are intriguing, but no clue as to their customer service or scope durability.

Sig's foray into thermal was with the Echo series. For what it is, it works okay, but has not been a commercial success. I used one for a while. It functioned, but offered some challenges. With that said, I put it on a .50 Beowulf and it held up just fine as Sig said it would.

NOTE: All thermal scopes have the potential for issues. I would buy a scope based on a combination of price, features, and customer service. Sooner or later, there is a real potential that you will need their customer service.
    kwaynem likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    Try amazon if you haven’t already. I still get amazed at what can be found on that site.
    great advice

Member #
    I too am late to this game, BUT...

I run a Pulsar Trail XQ38 on my dedicated thermal rig here in SE Oklahoma. For the money ($3,200) they are the best "entry-level" optic into the thermal hunting game. By that I mean, you get a decent image combined with rock-solid CS and warranty. The image is good enough that you can tell hog from calf at ~250 yards, which a lot of your $2,000 units cannot. At any one point I have 35-45 calves on the ground, which will sell for about $1K a piece when they go to market. Being sure of my target (especially runners) is paramount to me.

My unit is not in the same league as the high-end Trijicon or N-Vision, but it is also less than half the price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12