Thermal?

Thermal?

This is a discussion on Thermal? within the Hunting forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Who has thermal scopes? What brands or models do you like? Which would you avoid? Thanks for the help!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Thermal?

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Thermal?

Who has thermal scopes? What brands or models do you like? Which would you avoid? Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Ksfly09; 02-21-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    okbob likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    923 times
    Referring to thermal clothing or thermal scopes?

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Scopes

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    683 times
    I've been running a Sig Echo 1 for two years. My buddies hunt with ATN. I'll give my thoughts.

My Sig has been the best thermal I could imagine. It's high resolution for the cost, it comes in about 3x magnification which is perfect for most hog hunting situations 50-100 yards. The thermal core resolution and screen resolution are nearly 1:1 ratio so what you are seeing is clear. I can ID hogs with good thermal conditions at almost 1/2mile. One set of rechargeable CR123 batteries will run all weekend. It's also a reflex sight so I can keep both eyes open and not push my face up to a rubber cup. Furthermore it's rated up to a .50cal BMG. Unfortunately, Sig doesn't make them anymore.

As for ATN, I have experience with two different ones: original Thor HD 384 and a 100mm 640 Thor HD. The lower end ATN will start freezing when fired with any caliber larger than .223 which includes 7.62x39. The battery life is about two hours with alkaline batteries and 6 hours with expensive lithium batteries. The rechargeable power packs are handy, but make your rifle heavy and they seem to drain quickly. Also, taking a 384 resolution core image and projecting it on a 1280p screen really degrades the image quality. My Sig at 206x156 core resolution drastically outperformed this ATN hands down.

The expensive 640 ATN had issue freezing at bad times. The magnification was 5x-20 which was WAY too much for up close shooting. If pigs ran at you, you were pretty much screwed because you couldn't see them in the small field of view. That said, it was the clearest and highest resolution we've used, but even with firmware updates, it would shut off unexpectedly almost every time we went out. My buddy has since scrapped it and upgraded with the newest version 640 unit and he seems satisfied with it.

If I had unlimited funds I'd only consider purchasing from Pulsar, Nvision, or Trijicon. If I was going to upgrade on a budget from my current optic, it would be Pulsar without any hesitation.
    Last edited by Archer22; 02-21-2020 at 02:50 PM.
    dennishoddy, Bullbuster and BobbyV like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1423 times
    All of mine got destroyed when all of my guns that I never owned and all of my ammunition that I never bought were swept out to sea off of the coast of Oklahoma.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    kwaynem likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2897 times
    I've never had any experience with NV other than some early Starlight but from what I'm seeing on the market, money talks and BS walks. You can get military grade NV but be ready to pay thousands.
    kwaynem likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    My brother’s in the NV/thermal business. He can answer any questions you may have. Here’s his website...https://outdoorlegacygear.com/
    dennishoddy likes this.

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Currently looking into a Pulsar, but as you can imagine am a little hesitant on pulling the trigger. Appear to make a great product and haven't heard many people have bad things to say but still a good amount of money to be spending.

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    I like the Pulsar Helion. That would be a nice little toy for the arsenal

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    No one local to me sells these things. I have scrolled past numerous websites. Is there a place out there that you know of to get the best deal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast