Tree Saddles

Tree Saddles

This is a discussion on Tree Saddles within the Hunting forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Do any of y'all hunt, or have you ever hunted out of a tree saddle? I've been blessed to have access to some pretty good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Tree Saddles

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

Tree Saddles

Do any of y'all hunt, or have you ever hunted out of a tree saddle?

I've been blessed to have access to some pretty good private land, but I really want to try hunting public land this year. I'm looking for a quick and easy setup to move around with. Something light as well. I think I really like the idea of hunting out of a tree saddle, but not sure that I'm ready to dish out that kind of money to get the basic setup.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2674 times
    Can’t say I’ve ever heard of it before. I’ll have to check and see what it is even.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Man, I bet they would be great up in the mountains. They are basically the minimalist tree stand setup you can get outside of just sitting on a branch. Since you're supported by your ropes, and not just standing on a platform, you have the freedom to move all the way around the tree. I really want to try one. I might get a really cheap setup, and if I like it, move to a better quality one.
    Bullbuster likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kicker View Post
    Man, I bet they would be great up in the mountains. They are basically the minimalist tree stand setup you can get outside of just sitting on a branch. Since you're supported by your ropes, and not just standing on a platform, you have the freedom to move all the way around the tree. I really want to try one. I might get a really cheap setup, and if I like it, move to a better quality one.
    I was intrigued by that system a few years back, but where I hunt the trees are short and heavily limbed.
    I can see where the pine forests and such might be a good place to use those.
    Kicker likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Trying it this year on Private to work out the kinks. Have tree stands for back up. We were out the last 2 days placing stands, climbing trees with our gear to get the back of the stands up.

So, I know some and I back still learning. But, if I know what you need to know.....

Anyway, what you needing?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    I was intrigued by that system a few years back, but where I hunt the trees are short and heavily limbed.
    I can see where the pine forests and such might be a good place to use those.
    From everything that I've looked up, these saddles are very versatile. I think that they'd be good for any type of tree. I actually think that they would be better in the smaller scrub trees than any tree stand. Not sure yet if I'm going to give it a shot, but I'm really leaning towards trying one. If I do, I'll be sure to write up a review.
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rswink View Post
    Trying it this year on Private to work out the kinks. Have tree stands for back up. We were out the last 2 days placing stands, climbing trees with our gear to get the back of the stands up.

So, I know some and I back still learning. But, if I know what you need to know.....

Anyway, what you needing?

Man, to be honest, I'm really just looking for your opinions about them. How comfortable are they? How easy to use? Mobility? Ect....

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Man, to be honest, I'm really just looking for your opinions about them. How comfortable are they? How easy to use? Mobility? Ect....
    Was up and down a dozen trees this weekend. Used them for practice and to put up the ladder stands and a pair of hang on's.

There is a learning curve to them. But, once you are in they are super comfortable to wear. I am using Wild Edge Stepps in the tree. My wife and my brother likes the Hawk Helium's and are using them. I have some Muddy Step Ladders that my wife likes, Women's 6 fits both feet, Men's 10.5 means 1 foot to a step and is uncomfortable, but as a permanent ladder they are super secure. While going up the tree I have a Ropeman 1 instead of a Prusik knot, much easier to use. We all picked Tetherd Phantom for a saddle which was weird. So, plenty of Molle spots. We have pouches on both sides for belts and all of our climbing/saddle equipment. We have gear rope behind us to our equipment on the ground.

Now, at height you girth hitch your tether and hook into your bridge with a Prusik knot. I carry a spare Prusik for the working line to hang thing from at my attachment point (my backpack water, snacks, etc.). My wife uses a Primal step with a Wild Edge Perch and Ameristeps around. I am using a Stepp with a Perch and a ring of squirrel steps. My brother has a pair of Ameristeps and a pair of Primal steps.

My wife is working on some DIY HYS straps that might be ready in time for rifle season 2021 at the rate she has free time. I got in the last of my parts for a 25' Gear Retrieval line for my wife and I. So I get to work on that Thursday morning in my couple hour free gap.

Now, with the feet able to touch things. Knee pads on. Tether in place. I have 360 degree access around the tree. I will be in a leafy suit for early season, and light grey and muted colors in the later seasons. I have already been practicing bow, crossbow, and rifle from up there and all are very easy once you trust in the equipment.

Have you tried anything yet or are you just looking?

dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3471 times
    From everything that I've looked up, these saddles are very versatile. I think that they'd be good for any type of tree. I actually think that they would be better in the smaller scrub trees than any tree stand. Not sure yet if I'm going to give it a shot, but I'm really leaning towards trying one. If I do, I'll be sure to write up a review.
    When I’m talking scrub trees, I saying less than 10’ tall with needles that will puncture the skin. You don’t even get close to them. LOL!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    When I’m talking scrub trees, I saying less than 10’ tall with needles that will puncture the skin. You don’t even get close to them. LOL!
    LOL, I got ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast