2020 Youth Season Options

This is a discussion on 2020 Youth Season Options within the Hunting forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Well, it looks like we are tentatively scheduled to fly home on the 13th. That would get me home sometime late on the 14th. I'm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 2020 Youth Season Options

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

Well, it looks like we are tentatively scheduled to fly home on the 13th. That would get me home sometime late on the 14th. I'm really hoping this works out, because I would love to bring the kids out to some public land for youth season. When I was working onshore, I spent a lot of time around Packsaddle WMA. I really like that area, and I've spent a lot of time scouting the area via maps while I've been out here. I've got a few areas that I want to check out, and I've got a spot picked out to glass from the first morning.

I've also been looking at the corp lands around Kaw lake. I've also got a few spots picked out up there. I just imagine that there will be more people around Kaw than out west.

Do any of y'all have any experience at either of these areas that you would be willing to share? Or, do y'all have any suggestions on other WMA's/public lands to check out?

Best of luck to those of y'all bringing the kids out this year!
    okbob likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1531 times
    Just a heads up, turkey numbers are really low this year even in western Oklahoma, either from the fires or drought conditions earlier this year.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    3471 times
    Kaw is good for everything but gun season.
    When rifle season starts up, it becomes a sea of orange.
    Archery and MZ season one pretty much has it to themselves.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird (this time) View Post
    Just a heads up, turkey numbers are really low this year even in western Oklahoma, either from the fires or drought conditions earlier this year.
    Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    Kaw is good for everything but gun season.
    When rifle season starts up, it becomes a sea of orange.
    Archery and MZ season one pretty much has it to themselves.
    Does that stand true for youth weekend as well as regular gun? I really want to check out a few places up there, but I'll wait for another opportunity if its really crowded.

Member #
    Liked
    3471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kicker View Post
    Thank you sir.

Does that stand true for youth weekend as well as regular gun? I really want to check out a few places up there, but I'll wait for another opportunity if its really crowded.
    Youth weekend will be very unpopulated by hunters. Good time to go.
    I commented about normal rifle season so anyone considering going there will know what to expect. Most hunters will be from Kansas during the normal rifle season. Their rifle season opens up after the season on Kaw Closes so they get an extended season hunting both states.
    You cannot kill pigs on Kaw lake COE property. The USDA is running an experiment there on different methods of eradication and don't want anybody pressuring them.
    Last edited by dennishoddy; 10-09-2020 at 09:11 PM.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Youth weekend will be very unpopulated by hunters. Good time to go.
    I commented about normal rifle season so anyone considering going there will know what to expect. Most hunters will be from Kansas during the normal rifle season. Their rifle season opens up after the season on Kaw Closes so they get an extended season hunting both states.
    You cannot kill pigs on Kaw lake COE property. The USDA is running an experiment there on different methods of eradication and don't want anybody pressuring them.
    Thank you sir!

Member #
    Liked
    3471 times
    I'll be taking an 8 Year old out Friday. His dad has to work and he was devastated he couldn't go deer hunting after killing two does last year. He killed them with a .300 BO but think I'll let him shoot my .223 in the AR platform suppressed. Lighter rifle than his dads .300.

Be sure to check the wma regulations for Kaw before going on the youth hunt. I'm pretty sure it's OK, but you never know when they are going to change something.
    Last edited by dennishoddy; 10-13-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Well ladies and gentlemen, this is why you never talk about crew change until you get off the vessel. Looks like we won't be crew changing this week. If we're lucky it'll be next week. If not, then it's looking like the end of the month at best. Luckily it looks like my brother, LuckyStag on here, is going to be able to take my oldest boy out. I've sent him a few areas on Kaw that I've been looking at. Hopefully they can find a good spot, and get into some decent deer. The other two boys will just have to wait until I get home, and maybe I'll be able to get them out with the bow/crossbow.

I'll be taking an 8 Year old out Friday. His dad has to work and he was devastated he couldn't go deer hunting after killing two does last year. He killed them with a .300 BO but think I'll let him shoot my .223 in the AR platform suppressed. Lighter rifle than his dads .300.

Be sure to check the wma regulations for Kaw before going on the youth hunt. I'm pretty sure it's OK, but you never know when they are going to change something.
    Best of luck to y'all. Keep us posted on how y'all do.

I've checked the regulations a couple of times. As far as I can tell, they should be good. Thanks again.
    dennishoddy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1647 times
    Doesn't look good for my daughter's. The youngest is having ankle surgery Friday morning that will put her on crutches for at least a month and the oldest daughter was elected 4-H state secretary and has to attend a meeting that is done by zoom, Skype or some other type of communication from different rooms at Stillwater. She said they do the meeting then meet in person socially distanced and do paperwork. She's not happy. Might be able to salvage something out of Sunday after church.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by murphranch View Post
    Doesn't look good for my daughter's. The youngest is having ankle surgery Friday morning that will put her on crutches for at least a month and the oldest daughter was elected 4-H state secretary and has to attend a meeting that is done by zoom, Skype or some other type of communication from different rooms at Stillwater. She said they do the meeting then meet in person socially distanced and do paperwork. She's not happy. Might be able to salvage something out of Sunday after church.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    Praying for a quick recovery for your youngest! Congratulations to your oldest, that's quite the achievement! Good luck to y'all if you get a chance to get out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast