Processing Deer at Home

Processing Deer at Home

This is a discussion on Processing Deer at Home within the Hunting forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Hi Everyone! My first post here. I am a new hunter, got my first little buck with a borrowed bow last year. Got my gear ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Processing Deer at Home

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Processing Deer at Home

Hi Everyone! My first post here.

I am a new hunter, got my first little buck with a borrowed bow last year.Name:  IMG_0634.JPG
Views: 755
Size:  2.41 MB Got my gear ready, have been putting in lots of practice, and gotten some good scouting done on public land and have some promising places picked out.

I have been going back and fourth on weather or not to spend the money and get setup to process my deer at home. I think I've decided its something that I at least want to try once. I have a empty fridge so space shouldn't be a issue. I am curious if anyone has had experience with processing at home and what your thoughts might be on vacuum sealing verses wrapping with quality freezer paper. Up front costs seem to be similar.

Thank you,

Sam

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3559 times
    First of all, welcome to Oklahoma Hunter!

I've processed a lot of deer at home with a cheap electric grinder. I actually enjoy doing it.
    It's a long story, but my wife hates anything wrapped in white paper.
    We have a vacuum sealer now, and it's great. Everything from deer to fish gets vacuum sealed. Lasts twice as long in the freezer.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1064 times
    Welcome! We do about 4-7 deer a year at home. It's not hard to do, and the money you save by doing it yourself, you can buy the grinder and vacuum sealer. We paper wrap everything, but we grind 90% of it to burger/mix with pork or beef fat and go through it fairly quickly. Me, the wife and two kids can make pretty quick work of one when it comes time to grind and wrap.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2733 times
    Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter.

Congrats on the tender eats.

The worst part of butchering deer is setting the time aside to get it all done. I've been doing my own butchering for probably 15 years now. Hogs, deer it doesn't matter.

I got a grinder from cabelas and a Wally World vacuum sealer. Those are about the biggest items you would need.
    Check out YouTube and other places on the internet for how to videos on butchering.

The best part of doing it yourself is you know you are getting your meat back plus you know how it was handled.
    Bird (this time) likes this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Welcome to the site.

I think everyone has just about got you covered on the processing part. I shot my first deer last year and took after it with a sharp knife and a little bit of knowledge from a book I bought about butchering. My dad has an electric grinder and he helped me out with that part, but nothing to it. I would highly recommend watching a video or two. I didn't, and after I tried my hand at butchering, I went over to dad's to watch him butcher a deer, and there was definitely a lot to be learned by watching someone do it properly. I didn't ruin anything, but I could have been more efficient and probably wound up with a few more steaks than I did. I use a vacuum sealer and dad's big on the paper; six of one, and a half-dozen of the other - just go with what you're comfortable with.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thank you all for the replies. Lots of good info!

Member #
    Liked
    2733 times
    Quote Originally Posted by samj123 View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. Lots of good info!
    Not a problem that's what we are here for.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    1565 times
    Do a search on YouTube and watch some of the videos. There're some guys that have it down to an art form!

I grind most everything except the back straps. I use an old antique grinder, take the handle off and chuck up the 1/2" Dewalt drill.
    Last edited by Bird (this time); 09-11-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    Bullbuster likes this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I've been butchering my own deer for a few years now and it was the best decision I could have made! Plus, to me I think it's part of the hunting process I would like to mount a nice mule/buck on my wall one day, but I have yet to shoot one that's worth mounting. As for butchering supplies, everyone has it pretty much covered!! A vacuum and grinder is a must, but just as important is a GOOOOD butchering knife! It seriously makes all the difference in the world. Depending on were you live and Saying I shoot a deer this year, I'd be happy to show you how it's done! I had to teach myself, but wished I had someone to show me lol

Member #
    Liked
    1565 times
    Saw a flyer at the feed store today, $175 to process your deer!
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast