Be Careful: Ballistic Tips May NOT Be Legal - Page 3

Be Careful: Ballistic Tips May NOT Be Legal

This is a discussion on Be Careful: Ballistic Tips May NOT Be Legal within the Hunting forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Hey guys. I have recently started hunting. I bought a rifle, but I don't know what ammo should I buy. It the brand important, or ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Be Careful: Ballistic Tips May NOT Be Legal

Member #
    Hey guys. I have recently started hunting. I bought a rifle, but I don't know what ammo should I buy. It the brand important, or just ammo is ammo ? I have recently found a very nice ammo store bulkmunitions.com, there are is a lot of different ammo at very low prices and with free shipping. However, I don't have enough experience in that area and I am wondering what brand of ammo should I use ? Does it matter at all ?
    Last edited by BorisSutherland; 06-28-2020 at 06:18 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisSutherland View Post
    Hey guys. I have recently started hunting. I bought a rifle, but I don't know what ammo should I buy. It the brand important, or just ammo is ammo ?
    I think it doesn't matter

Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Brand doesnt matter, whatever shoots the best in your rifle. Bullet type/weight, however, is a whole different can of worms. That depends on what your hunting. This is a very old thread. Did anyone ever get a definite answer on the BT?
    MSGT. LEO/NRA/HHI/NAHC/BM/OLEFI/Firearms Instructor
    #1 ELK in the State of Oklahoma 2000-2016

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisSutherland View Post
    Hey guys. I have recently started hunting. I bought a rifle, but I don't know what ammo should I buy. It the brand important, or just ammo is ammo ?
    Brand is not as important as bullet selection being matched to what ever game your after.
    What caliber rifle did you get?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    3255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    Brand doesnt matter, whatever shoots the best in your rifle. Bullet type/weight, however, is a whole different can of worms. That depends on what your hunting. This is a very old thread. Did anyone ever get a definite answer on the BT?
    I haven’t. Keeps slipping my mind.
    Current regs still say this:

Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1433 times
    I would argue (for what that's worth) that a poly tipped bullet is a soft-nosed bullet. I'm sure that as popular as some of the new poly tipped bullets are now days, we'd of heard of someone going to the hooskgow for shooting a deer with a Barnes TXS.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    I spoke with a GW a long time ago and he said he would not write someone a ticket for it. If I remember correctly, I emailed ODWC and don't recall getting a response.

I would not hesitate to use a ballistic tip bullet, unless it's a match bullet. I've used ballistic tip match bullets on pigs and although the wounds were explosive, they were rather shallow and did not penetrate well. I'd make sure it is a "hunting" round if it's tipped.

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    379 times
    I agree. And like was said we would have heard something about it now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123