Be Careful: Ballistic Tips May NOT Be Legal

This is a discussion on Be Careful: Ballistic Tips May NOT Be Legal within the Hunting forums, part of the Hunting, Fishing & Outdoors category; Hopefully this is not a repost, as my session timed out the first try. I remembered this earlier when I posted in another thread about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Be Careful: Ballistic Tips May NOT Be Legal

Member #
    Liked
    696 times

Hopefully this is not a repost, as my session timed out the first try.

I remembered this earlier when I posted in another thread about ballistic tips and can't believe I haven't already shared this on here. Earlier this year, a friend of mine contacted me telling me stories about how strict the game wardens were being in a certain county. Part of this was that the game wardens were writing hunters citations for hunting deer with ballistic tips during rifle season. This perplexed me because I've used ballistic tips for deer hunting since I started rifle hunting 10 years ago and it's never been a problem. Plus, ballistic tips have always been marketed for hunting by manufacturers.

Anyways, in early October this year I got some face time with a game warden and told him this story about other wardens writing people tickets for using ballistic tip ammunition. Then I asked him to clarify if this was true, that hunting with ballistic tip ammunition during deer rifle season was illegal. I followed him to his truck where he pulled out a copy of the hunting guide and I stood there as he read the "legal means of taking" section aloud. He slowed down when he got to the part that said "soft nosed or hollow point bullet". He stopped reading and pondered for a few moments and then he said (I am paraphrasing his statement) that if you read and interpret the regs, verbatim, that YES ballistic tip ammunition could be considered "illegal". That being said, he assured me he could not foresee himself writing someone a ticket for that; however, he could understand that if other game wardens interpreted and enforced the regs that way, that YES they could write someone a ticket for that.

I didn't press him beyond that conversation but that leaves it kind of open ended. Is it legal or not? This may or may not be an issue for some people in some areas, but it is obviously not being enforced unilaterally. Some game wardens write tickets for it and others don't. Perhaps ODWC could issue a revision in the hunting regs to clarify this issue, but until then, be careful with what ammunition you are using. If anyone has heard anything about this or has any info please chime in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    The ballistic tip should be considered soft you can cut it with a knife. Just like you can cut lead. I like the BT because they don't deform in the magazine while shooting. I use Nosler in 7mm mag.3000 fps hand loads normally don't have to trail but do get a good exit hole.

Member #
    Liked
    3253 times
    That's a very literal interpretation of the law. If a GW got me for something like this, I'd have to take it to jury trial.
    No way would I just pay the fine.

We have wildlife commissioners in each region. I'd suggest contacting them to make sure this issue is addressed in future regulation updates.

I'll be contacting mine.

The Wildlife Conservation Commission Districts

You can contact the ODW to express your concerns here:

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/contactus.htm
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    696 times

Smile

Well, hopefully there will be some clarification in the future from ODW on the topic. I've recently switched to bonded soft points anyways, for economy purposes, so I'm not worried about getting a ticket. However, I know a lot of people who hunt with BT ammo and I'd hate for them to have to pay a fine simply because of a GW's interpretation of the law. To some people this may not be a big deal, but hey, money is money. As much as I respect the ODW for what they do with my license dollars, I want to keep as much money in my pocket as I can.
    Last edited by Archer22; 12-30-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1017 times
    There's several bullets out there that wouldn't be legal if this is the case. Hornady SST's, Barnes TTSX, Barnes LRX, Swift Scirroco I and II, Sierra Tipped Matchking and Blitzkings, Remington Accutips.............the list goes on.

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Plain and simple. I wouldn't pay it. I've known a lot of wardens in my life and would bet none of them would ever write a ticket like this EXCEPT for one. Not a doubt in my mind he would write it and also enjoy writing it.

Member #
    Liked
    1017 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasakwa View Post
    Plain and simple. I wouldn't pay it. I've known a lot of wardens in my life and would bet none of them would ever write a ticket like this EXCEPT for one. Not a doubt in my mind he would write it and also enjoy writing it.
    Is he still active or retired?

Member #
    Liked
    3253 times
    Active, and I know who he is talking about.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1017 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    Active, and I know who he is talking about.
    Then I'm about 99% sure who you're referring to.............and the reason I sent my wildlife license plates back to the ODWC and told them in no way do I want any extra of my money to support that GW's paycheck.

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Yep you know him very well Dennis. He once told me that he enjoyed writing every ticket he ever wrote. He may be good for the wildlife but sure hurts the warden and hunter relations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast