New member from Louisiana

This is a discussion on New member from Louisiana within the New Member Introductions forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Just dropping in to introduce myself. My name is Jeff Dupont. I am from central Louisiana but live and work in southwest Louisiana. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New member from Louisiana

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Just dropping in to introduce myself. My name is Jeff Dupont. I am from central Louisiana but live and work in southwest Louisiana. I am a diehard bowhunter who enjoys chasing big bucks on public land. I have been bowhunting for 26 yrs and enjoy sharing my experiences and hearing about the experiences of others to continue to grow in my knowledge of bowhunting. I am married and a father of 3 daughters. I make a trip out of state each year to chase deer on public land around the Midwest and this year I have chosen the great state of Oklahoma to pursue an opportunity to take another buck for my trophy room. Looking forward to gaining a little insight into what Oklahoma has to offer.
    kwaynem and Bullbuster like this.
    Proverbs 27:17 "Iron sharpens iron, as one man sharpens another"

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Welcome, Lots of public land here. If you are trophy hunting I would recommend Going Northwest Oklahoma.

Member #
    Liked
    851 times
    Welcome to the site and like has been said there is lots of public lands to be hunted in Oklahoma. And the trophy potential is getting better it seems every year. The Okla Wildlife Dept has a great set of online maps and all the regulations that you'll need to know at https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/

Good luck and if you have any questions, let us know.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks guys. I have been doing a good bit of research and even made contact with one of the biologist up there. Looks like east central OK is where I will be headed. If it's ok, I'll PM with any questions about the area so as not to draw too much public attention.
    Bullbuster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2125 times
    Ask away!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    851 times
    East central Okla I'd look at Okmulgee WMA and Deepfork PHA, good sized bodied deer and some whopper racks. Cookson Hills the bucks have big racks but little bodies. James Collins, SE Okla, is archery unless drawn out for a special firearms hunt, lots of deer and good ones. That's about it for locations that I know of.

Here is a link to a good map of all the public hunting areas. http://odwc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...9858c28b3acbb6
    Last edited by Bird (this time); 06-07-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Member #
    Liked
    218 times
    Us Okies would love to have your business. There are plenty of places that should give you a legitimate chance to harvest a buck you will be proud of.

I would encourage you to consider NW OK.

PM me if you need contact info or motel recommendations.
    And why, today, remember misses?

--Ernest Hemingway--

Member #
    Liked
    1750 times
    Welcome to the forum. South central has some new public lands that were once private. May want to looking into that as well.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird (this time) View Post
    East central Okla I'd look at Okmulgee WMA and Deepfork PHA, good sized bodied deer and some whopper racks. Cookson Hills the bucks have big racks but little bodies. James Collins, SE Okla, is archery unless drawn out for a special firearms hunt, lots of deer and good ones. That's about it for locations that I know of.
    Hey Bird, I looked at Deep Fork and really liked it. The only reason I took it out of consideration was that there are only 300 archery permits given and they have to be picked up at the headquarters in person on a first come first served basis. I was leery of driving 8 hrs to get a permit only to be told I was number 301. Is it worth the risk?

Thanks for all the input.

Member #
    Liked
    851 times
    I understand that line of thought. I'd call the HQ up and ask what's the average number of permits usually issued out. If they average less than 300, you'd be pretty much good to go, but if you didn't get a permit, I'd just hop on over to Okmulgee and hunt it. James Collins, near McAlester has archery only on 21,000 acres (except for firearms draw hunts) and isn't crowded at all.
    Last edited by Bird (this time); 06-10-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast