New Member and Hunter - Page 2

New Member and Hunter

This is a discussion on New Member and Hunter within the New Member Introductions forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Originally Posted by rswink I have an AR as well as 10/22. One for protection, 1 for plinking. For squirrels, rabbits, etc I use a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New Member and Hunter

exe
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rswink View Post
    I have an AR as well as 10/22. One for protection, 1 for plinking. For squirrels, rabbits, etc I use a Ruger American in 22LR. I also have a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor, it takes AICS mags, this I like as I want to get the rifle in 204 or 243 for Coyotes, Beavers, and the like, also with AICS mags. But Deer also get found with a Marlin 30-30, a crossbow, a compound bow, and have even fielded a modern traditional bow. As for shotguns, I don't hunt duck buy I have been know to catch a Turkey, so I have a Mossberg 12 gauge, or a single shot if I am feeling frisky.

Now, my wife have her 22LR's and 22WMR's in Marlin, her 243 is Mossberg, her shotguns are in 20 and 410, pumps or singles. Plus she has her compound bow.

Looking at adding the wife a crossbow as she has started shooting mine. And she is eyeing my Trad, so yeah. Plus, she really needs an AR, just watch it be pink. Plus she is wanting us to pick up a 38/357 Lever/Revolver combo for her and 44 Combo for me, what a great wife. Plus she is always on the hunt for more 22's for herself. My next 22 will probably be a hornet if I can find 1 I like.

Anyway, way long winded, basically came to say let us know what you need to know, if you want opinions, or just to shoot the breeze.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    I have heard nothing but good things about the Ruger American's, which is why I would like it in 243 or 270. I tried pulling the trigger on Cabella's because they had it on sale for $270, but once you give them all your info that is when they tell you it is not stocked. My current AR is a Diamondback DB15 loaded with an Aimpoint Pro red dot and Vortex flip out 3x. I had a 22 conversion BCG that I used at the range for fun. Only other firearm I have is my Walther PPQ M2 Navy in 9mm which, admittedly I need more practice on. My membership at the range has ran out and with all the craziness going on haven't gotten out to re-new it yet but that is soon to come.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    122 times
    Welcome. allot of good information here

Member #
    Liked
    3272 times
    Quote Originally Posted by exe View Post
    Hello all,

I am brand new on the forum and hunting in general. Coming from a family up in the north who hadn't ever hunted I was not exposed to it early enough. I am here to learn and read up on as much as I can, thank you for your knowledge and help on my journey
    Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter! As others have said, post up any questions you may have about hunting/fishing.
    Here is a link to Corps of Engineer public hunting areas in Oklahoma, Kansas and Tx.

https://www.swt.usace.army.mil/Missi...g-Information/

Here is a link to the Oklahoma Dept of Wildlife public hunting areas. https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/wma
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by exe View Post
    I have heard nothing but good things about the Ruger American's, which is why I would like it in 243 or 270. I tried pulling the trigger on Cabella's because they had it on sale for $270, but once you give them all your info that is when they tell you it is not stocked. My current AR is a Diamondback DB15 loaded with an Aimpoint Pro red dot and Vortex flip out 3x. I had a 22 conversion BCG that I used at the range for fun. Only other firearm I have is my Walther PPQ M2 Navy in 9mm which, admittedly I need more practice on. My membership at the range has ran out and with all the craziness going on haven't gotten out to re-new it yet but that is soon to come.
    You do know that the .223 AR will take deer, just ask Dennis Hoddy! Plus, you can buy an AR upper in many different calibers that would be cheaper than buying a rifle and put on your AR lower.
    rswink and dennishoddy like this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    3272 times
    Yep, I've killed a couple dozen with .223 in the AR platform. You just have to pick out the right bullet and keep ranges moderate.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    2431 times
    Killed many a terrorist as well.
    kwaynem and Bird (this time) like this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12