New to the forum, father of 4 wanting a hobby

This is a discussion on New to the forum, father of 4 wanting a hobby within the New Member Introductions forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Hello, My name is Brian and I'm new to the forum. I really want to learn to hunt, I've gone maybe 4 times in my ...

Member #

Hello,

My name is Brian and I'm new to the forum. I really want to learn to hunt, I've gone maybe 4 times in my life, dad wasn't into it. I guess better late than never, at 40 I really want to learn. Anyone have tips to start? Classes, videos, etc

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2735 times
    First off welcome to the forum. When it comes to hunting you are never to young to start. Where abouts in OK do you live?
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    3563 times
    First of all, welcome to the Oklahoma Hunter forum.

My dad wasn't into it either. I pretty much learned on my own, as at that time hunting and fishing was kind of frowned on. (70's) Hippies and drugs were the thing.

I was, and am into reading books, and in my youth along with Boy Scouts is where I learned the ways of the woods, and the history of hunting. I read the great novels like Call of the Wild, etc.

So, now fast forward to today. Youtube can show somebody just about anything you want to know. Hunters are going out with GoPro video's documenting every facet of their hunt.

Yet, in my opinion, nothing beats looking at a track in the mud first hand instead of on a computer. You have to get out in the woods, and experience nature.
    Watch how the birds are acting. I shot a doe with my Xbow a few years back and couldn't find it in the shoulder high grass. Backed out and later on saw birds dropping into a site. Made a mental note of the location and walked right up on the doe. I was 3' away from it more than once, but the tall grass didn't let me see it.

If your hunting a buck and have does in the field, watch them closely. they will spot a potential buck and watch them when you can't even see it.

Million others around.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    First off welcome to the forum. When it comes to hunting you are never to young to start. Where abouts in OK do you live?
    I live in Jenks, thanks for the welcome

Member #
    Liked
    2735 times
    Not exactly sure where that is lol. I'm an Uncle Sam transplant living in OKC.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    Not exactly sure where that is lol. I'm an Uncle Sam transplant living in OKC.
    It's next to tulsa, 1.5 hours north of you

Member #
    Liked
    621 times
    Helllo welcome aboard. I live in Lawton, OK. I have been hunting since I was 6 years-old. I have a friend who didn't start hunting and fishing until he was 45. Now he can't get enough of it. My wife say I am a junkie when it come to hunting. There are a lot of good ole boys here on the forum and if you have any question we will be more welcome to help you. Again welcome to the forum.
    U.S. ARMY (Retired)
    I love to hunt and fish and most of all spending time with my family after I get home from hunting and fishing.

Founder of the Wichita Mountain Waterfowlers established 2012.

Member #
    Liked
    1567 times
    Welcome Brian, it's never too late to start enjoying hunting and fishing. You've got some good public hunting not too far from you.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Welcome aboard Brian!