Itís not the guns, itís the ammunition, from the mind of a gun grabber

This is a discussion on Itís not the guns, itís the ammunition, from the mind of a gun grabber within the Second Ammendment Rights forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Walmart got it right when it announced in early September, following the mass murder of 22 people at one of its El Paso stores, that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Itís not the guns, itís the ammunition, from the mind of a gun grabber

Member #
    Liked
    2459 times

Walmart got it right when it announced in early September, following the mass murder of 22 people at one of its El Paso stores, that it would cease selling ammunition for all handguns and military-style weapons. It was the corporationís way of saying getting the guns is not the answer.

The truth is, the guns canít be gotten. Iíve seen that in Connecticut, a state known for its stringent gun laws. Several months before the 2012 tragedy in Newtown, I happened to be in Stamford police headquarters. Taped to a wall was a flyer announcing the cityís latest anti-gun campaign, requesting that citizens voluntarily turn in their firearms.

ďHow many guns have you collected?Ē I asked the officer on duty.

ďAbout 75.Ē It was more than heíd expected, he said.

For an informal effort in a small city where no mass shooting deaths have occurred, it seemed a worthwhile beginning, until I spoke with U.S. Rep. Jim Himes, my congressman.

ďOh yeah,Ē he said. ďI went to one of those in Bridgeport not long ago. You should have seen the guns people turned in. Some of them were rusty. They looked about a hundred years old.Ē

According to Himes and the officer with whom I spoke, none of the near-useless weapons turned in was illegal. And thatís the fundamental problem. Itís difficult to convince legal gun owners to part with a viable weapon. What hope is there that a criminal, or a person who is mentally unfit, will voluntarily surrender one?

The illicit firearms currently on the streets are staying there, and their number is staggering. In 2018, in Chicago alone, police confiscated more than 9,600, an average of more than one an hour. And still, the Chicago Tribune reported, through Oct. 27 there have been 2,313 city shootings in this calendar year.

The most expedient method of removing firearms from those who shouldnít have them would be to pass federal legislation making confiscation mandatory ó as Australia did, following a spate of mass killings that culminated in a 1996 night club massacre that took 35 lives. Twelve days later, the nation enacted strict gun reform legislation that limited the types of firearms available to civilians. The government has since collected and destroyed more than a million weapons through buyback and amnesty programs. Over the next 18 years, Australia suffered not a single fatal mass shooting of five or more deaths.

A better solution here, where the National Rifle Association is so influential, would be to render illicit firearms useless.

It is not as insurmountable as it might appear.

Today, one can walk into a gun shop and purchase, for instance, a .22, .38 or .44-caliber handgun. Most firearms are built to accommodate one size round only. Hereís what would happen if the manufacture of todayís standard-size rounds were outlawed, and .21, .37, or .43-caliber rounds took their place: Eventually, gun owners would run out of the old ammo, and their weapons would become paperweights.

Weíd have the opportunity for a national gun policy do-over. New, tougher gun registration and ownership policies, some already favored by NRA membership, would be enacted in conjunction with the changeover in rounds calibration. Fresh attention could be paid to newer, research-vetted strategies, such as the universal adoption of smart-gun technology and limiting the size of rounds available to civilians. Police and military would keep their current firearms and ammunition, manufactured and distributed under strictest control.

To use the recalibrated rounds, people would have to purchase new weapons to fire them. Many would object. Why should a law-abiding citizen spend hundreds, perhaps thousands of dollars to replace oneís gun collection?

https://www.courant.com/opinion/op-e...outputType=amp
    retrieverman likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I’ve said for many years that if democrats were smart they would never utter the words “gun control” ever again. It’s physically impossible to round up all the guns in this country, BUT if the govt had control of the ammo (and component) supply, they control most of the guns. The California law that took effect back in the summer requiring background checks to buy ammo got me off high center, and I finally bought the Dillon press I’ve talked about for years. Now I’m buying components (in bulk).
    You’ve got to love how failed TX senate candidate and presidential candidate Francis Oroark thought he would garner much needed support by his “hell yes, we’re coming after your AR15’s and AK47’s....”, but HE DIDN’T. He completely misjudged his voter base and the American people as a whole.
    I unfortunately think the democrats are catching on, but as a whole, they aren’t there yet. Ammo is probably as cheap as it’s ever been (proportionately speaking), and I recommend all gun owners and shooters to buy it cheap and stack it deep while you still can.

Tracker
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Absolutely get it while you can!
    retrieverman likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1010 times
    My computer screen is dumber just for having that article shown on it. So, for instance, a .357 will fire a .38SPC round. So would a .22 fire a .21 round, a .44 pistol fire a .43? Might not be as accurate but dang, some of these folks don't have a clue. Which I guess does play into our favor sometimes.
    retrieverman and dennishoddy like this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Tracker
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Bunch of nut jobs
    retrieverman likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2459 times
    I think the dummy was advocating for different calibers with government controlled ammunition as a method to get around the 2nd Amendment that protects guns, but not necessarily ammo.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Member #
    Liked
    1010 times
    I may be smoking crack, but didn't the Supreme Court hear a case where some city or state was trying to control ammo and said that the 2A protects ammo as well as the firearm? Reason being was that to be afforded the right to bear arms, one needed ammo to fully exercise that right.
    dennishoddy and kwaynem like this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Tracker
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Makes sense.

Member #
    Liked
    2459 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird (this time) View Post
    I may be smoking crack, but didn't the Supreme Court hear a case where some city or state was trying to control ammo and said that the 2A protects ammo as well as the firearm? Reason being was that to be afforded the right to bear arms, one needed ammo to fully exercise that right.
    I actually haven't heard of that. If true, it shoots(pardon the pun) that whole theory into the water by the gun grabber.
    kwaynem likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1913 times
    I can see them going after reloading supplies as a step to curtail ammo usage. Even pushing for the banning of all online sales. It’s a sad sad world we live in when making one defenseless is the only way to make one safe.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011ó01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast