Food plot pinto beans

Food plot pinto beans

This is a discussion on Food plot pinto beans within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Going to be planting next week just curious if anyone has had any luck with pinto beans for a food plot. I have heard of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Food plot pinto beans

  1. #1
    Scout A.johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    87
    Member #
    806
    Liked
    71 times

    Food plot pinto beans

    Going to be planting next week just curious if anyone has had any luck with pinto beans for a food plot. I have heard of people planting them with good results. Anyone have insight on these?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Master Hunter
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    pawhuska ok
    Posts
    2,076
    Member #
    558
    Liked
    1133 times
    I haven’t heard of it but I bet they will eat it

  4. #3
    Administrator dennishoddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ponca city OK
    Posts
    12,725
    Member #
    3
    Liked
    3168 times
    They work just fine. Deer will eat them all day. The issue with planting beans is that when they nip them off at the stalk, the plant is done. It won’t grow back, so if you have a large deer population, they can wipe out a bean patch pretty quick.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Scout A.johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    87
    Member #
    806
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    They work just fine. Deer will eat them all day. The issue with planting beans is that when they nip them off at the stalk, the plant is done. It won’t grow back, so if you have a large deer population, they can wipe out a bean patch pretty quick.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dennis I was thinking about doing 10 or so "exclusion" zones with chicken wire. Im still in the process of figuring out what exactly to plant next week. We are looking for an early bow season plot.

  7. #5
    Master Hunter okbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,700
    Member #
    130
    Liked
    1012 times
    Beans are beans and peas are peas to deer. Legumes likely won't produce a pod this late before a freeze, it's a late spring, early summer crop, they'll chow on the plants though if that's your goal. Like Dennis said, most plots aren't big enough to produce a pod due to grazing. I grew up hunting a place south of Bartlesville along the river and there soybeans planted every year. They would be almost up to my armpit, except along every tree line about 50y out into the field, they would only be ankle to knee high due to grazing. Hard to beat wheat/rye/oats if you think it's going to grazed hard.

  8. #6
    Super Moderator Bullbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Rawlins, WY
    Posts
    9,824
    Member #
    88
    Liked
    2344 times
    Hunted a lot of soybean back in Virginia and it produced. This late a small leafy plant is about all that will grow in time I’d think.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Columbus Indiana
    Posts
    5
    Member #
    6080
    Liked
    3 times
    A.Johnson, I wonder if you managed to plant pinto beans? I'm new here and studying this issue. I want to start growing beans and make a commercial project out of it. However, I recently found out that I am allergic to beans. When I was in London, I noticed redness on my hands. My friend is a doctor and he recommended that I take extensive food intolerance testing. I found out that I have a food intolerance to beans. This is ironic. But I think if I grow them but don't eat them, everything will be ok. Before that, I could not imagine that someone could be allergic to beans. Perhaps a course of treatment will fix this and I can try the beans from my plot.
    Last edited by hademarqvce; 04-24-2020 at 12:54 AM.

  10. #8
    Scout A.johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    87
    Member #
    806
    Liked
    71 times
    We didn't end up going with the pinto beans. We ended up with a fall mix that Ross Seed co makes over in El Reno. Was not our best plot last year, I live in Florida on the east coast and of course while I was there trying to get some work done on our property a hurricane was coming so I had to cut my trip short and did not get to do the plot like I wanted. Had a lot of seed get picked by birds and wildlife since I only had time to broadcast and didn't have time to drag it. Kind of a bummer but we still had a decent little plot. Actually didn't even hunt the food plot much just based off trail cam pictures didn't really have any deer we wanted to take.
    hademarqvce likes this.

  11. #9
    Administrator dennishoddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ponca city OK
    Posts
    12,725
    Member #
    3
    Liked
    3168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A.johnson View Post
    We didn't end up going with the pinto beans. We ended up with a fall mix that Ross Seed co makes over in El Reno. Was not our best plot last year, I live in Florida on the east coast and of course while I was there trying to get some work done on our property a hurricane was coming so I had to cut my trip short and did not get to do the plot like I wanted. Had a lot of seed get picked by birds and wildlife since I only had time to broadcast and didn't have time to drag it. Kind of a bummer but we still had a decent little plot. Actually didn't even hunt the food plot much just based off trail cam pictures didn't really have any deer we wanted to take.
    Thats a shame you got pulled off the food plot by that hurricane. Are you planting again this year?
    hademarqvce likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

  12. #10
    Administrator dennishoddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ponca city OK
    Posts
    12,725
    Member #
    3
    Liked
    3168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hademarqvce View Post
    A.Johnson, I wonder if you managed to plant pinto beans?
    Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter! Tell us a little about yourself.
    hademarqvce likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •