Attention Sportsmen! SB 566 affects YOUR public lands! - Page 2

Attention Sportsmen! SB 566 affects YOUR public lands!

This is a discussion on Attention Sportsmen! SB 566 affects YOUR public lands! within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; [QUOTE=Kelulu;107946]SB 566 comes before the Senate today or tomorrow. If you haven't called your Senator to express your concerns you should do so.[/ March 12, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Attention Sportsmen! SB 566 affects YOUR public lands!

Member #
    Liked
    2059 times
    [QUOTE=Kelulu;107946]SB 566 comes before the Senate today or tomorrow. If you haven't called your Senator to express your concerns you should do so.[/

March 12, 2019
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Wildlife Bills Face Senate Deadline Votes This Week; Measures Include SB 703 That Halts Further Public Hunting, Fishing Land Purchases

The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation along with many statewide conservation partner groups are very concerned about several pieces of wildlife-related legislation moving through the Oklahoma Senate over the next three days. This Thursday, March 14, is the deadline for these legislative proposals to be approved or they will be rendered dormant for this session.

Some of the bills, if passed, will affect the Department’s ability to fulfill its constitutionally mandated mission to conserve and manage Oklahoma’s fish and wildlife resources for the benefit of hunters, anglers and all Oklahomans, including its mandate to acquire land to improve habitat for such purposes. Many statewide conservation organizations are urging their membership to look at the bills and be part of the legislative process.

Among the bills are proposals that would:

Essentially freeze the Wildlife Department’s ability to buy additional lands for public hunting and fishing access (Senate Bill 703, Sen. Casey Murdock and Rep. Kevin McDugle).
    Dramatically reduce the ability of state Game Wardens to stop poaching and trespassing on private land (SB 567, Sen. Nathan Dahm, and SB 927, Murdock).
    Enable nonresident landowners to buy Oklahoma hunting/fishing combination licenses for $25, which is less than resident combination licenses ($42), and hand them out to relatives. (SB 984, Murdock, and HB 2324, McDugle).
    Would allow commercial hunting guides to operate on Oklahoma’s public hunting areas, although a proposed amendment would authorize the Department to regulate and assess fees (SB 566, Murdock and McDugle).
    Public participation is a key factor in the legislative process. This week, these and other bills that could dramatically affect hunting, fishing and wildlife conservation in Oklahoma will either be passed or defeated by voting over the next three days in the full Senate. Voting on wildlife bills in the House concluded last week with passage of HB 2324 (McDugle), which as mentioned above provides much cheaper $25 hunting/fishing combination licenses to nonresident landowners and their families.

To learn which bills are scheduled for a vote on a daily basis, go to www.oksenate.gov/schedule/agenda.aspx. The list of bills scheduled for a vote is posted the afternoon before or the morning of the day when the vote is scheduled to occur.

To see a complete list of all bills affecting Wildlife Department operations, go to www.tinyurl.com/ODWCbillTracker.

Anyone with an opinion on these bills and their impact on the Wildlife Department’s ability to serve Oklahoma’s hunters, anglers, landowners and outdoor enthusiasts, along with the Department’s ability to conduct its mandated mission to protect the state’s wildlife resources, is urged to share their opinions with their senators and representatives at the state Capitol.

Not only are hunting and fishing important to Oklahoma’s culture, they are also big business, generating nearly $2 billion in economic benefit to the state. The Wildlife Department receives no state tax appropriations. It is a constitutional agency based on the user-pay, user-benefit principle. It is funded by sportsmen and sportswomen through their purchases of hunting and fishing licenses.

Anyone who does not know who represents his or her district may find out by going to www.oklegislature.gov and using the “Find My Legislator” tool at the bottom right of the page.

NEWS CONTACTS:

Don P. Brown ([email protected])
    or Micah Holmes ([email protected])

CLICK HERE to subscribe to Outdoor Oklahoma magazine. Only $10 per year!

Stay Connected with ODWC
    FacebookTwitterYouTubeInstagram

WHO WE ARE: The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation (ODWC) with its 350 employees is responsible for managing Oklahoma's fish and wildlife resources and habitat. WHAT WE BELIEVE: The state's fish and wildlife belong to all Oklahomans and should be managed so their populations will be sustained forever. HOW WE ARE FUNDED: ODWC does not receive general state tax appropriations. License sales and federal Wildlife and Sportfish Restoration Program grant revenues are the main funding sources. Every license dollar spent by sportsmen and women in Oklahoma is used to fund ODWC's user pay/public benefit conservation efforts.

ODWC Disclaimer Policy

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:
    Manage Subscriptions | Unsubscribe All | Help
    This email was sent to [email protected] using GovDelivery Communications Cloud, on behalf of: Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation · 1801 N. Lincoln Blvd. · Oklahoma City, OK · 73105GovDelivery logo
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    822 times
    What the hell is with McDugal and Murdock??? Wonder how much $$ they're getting paid?
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Inhofe phone has been busy for 2 days now. I got ahold of Lankfort's office, I told them to tell him to vote no on all of the bills.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1718 times
    Saw on FB where Lacey Swope was telling people to call and urge officials to vote no in it all as well.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    314 times
    I call State Senator's office this morning and told my side and to vote no.
    U.S. ARMY (Retired)
    I love to hunt and fish and most of all spending time with my family after I get home from hunting and fishing.

Founder of the Wichita Mountain Waterfowlers established 2012.

Member #
    Liked
    210 times
    SB 566 cleared the Senate today. Contact your House Representatives and urge them to vote NO!

Member #
    Liked
    210 times
    Here's how the votes were cast.

YEAS: 30
    Allen Dugger McCortney Simpson
    Bergstrom Hall Montgomery Standridge
    Brooks Haste Murdock Stanislawski
    Bullard Howard Newhouse Stanley
    Coleman Ikley-Freeman Paxton Thompson
    Dahm Jech Pemberton Weaver
    Daniels Kidd Quinn
    Dossett Kirt Rader
    NAYS: 11
    Bice Hicks Rosino Shaw
    Boren Matthews Scott Young
    Floyd Pederson Sharp
    EXCUSED: 7
    Boggs Leewright Silk Treat
    David Pugh Smalley

Member #
    Liked
    2059 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird (this time) View Post
    What the hell is with McDugal and Murdock??? Wonder how much $$ they're getting paid?
    They probably got busted by a GW and this is payback time.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Member #
    Liked
    210 times
    Just wanted to post and express my thanks to those of you who reached out to your legislators. 703 is dead and it is apparently due to the volume of opposition raised by individual hunters. Great work!

566 is still alive but has been amended to allow regulation of the outfitters by ODWC. I still think it is bad law and have strongly encouraged my Representative (Patzkowsky) to vote NO. I would encourage each of you to do the same if you have not already. Our voices matter and they will listen if we care enough to speak up.
    baby, dennishoddy and Bullbuster like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2059 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelulu View Post
    Just wanted to post and express my thanks to those of you who reached out to your legislators. 703 is dead and it is apparently due to the volume of opposition raised by individual hunters. Great work!

566 is still alive but has been amended to allow regulation of the outfitters by ODWC. I still think it is bad law and have strongly encouraged my Representative (Patzkowsky) to vote NO. I would encourage each of you to do the same if you have not already. Our voices matter and they will listen if we care enough to speak up.
    These guys want to get reelected. When they get hundreds if not thousands of emails from their constituents, they know they are being watched. Don't let up!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast