Attention Sportsmen! SB 566 affects YOUR public lands! - Page 3

Attention Sportsmen! SB 566 affects YOUR public lands!

This is a discussion on Attention Sportsmen! SB 566 affects YOUR public lands! within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Looks like SB 566 passed out of committee today and will be heard soon on the floor of the House. If you have not contacted ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Attention Sportsmen! SB 566 affects YOUR public lands!

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    Looks like SB 566 passed out of committee today and will be heard soon on the floor of the House. If you have not contacted your State Representatives to encourage a NO vote now is the time to do it!
    dennishoddy likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelulu View Post
    Looks like SB 566 passed out of committee today and will be heard soon on the floor of the House. If you have not contacted your State Representatives to encourage a NO vote now is the time to do it!
    I'll be on the phone tomorrow. Thanks for the update!!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1799 times
    I'll be able to talk to a few of them today in person as we will be in the same location a meeting is being held.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Tracker
    Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    Thank goodness Stitt Vetoed the bill. hurray for him.
    dennishoddy and kwaynem like this.

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    OMG he did! I know who I'm voting for next election!

Hurray for Governor Stitt! Oklahoma may have elected a real leader for a change.
    dennishoddy and kwaynem like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2185 times
    Thats awesome!! I had heard a couple days ago that it passed and was getting depressed.

Here is a link to the legislature and how SB-566 went during it's journey.

Bill Information

Edit: Legislators have vowed to override the Governor's veto. Get ready to send more emails!
    Last edited by dennishoddy; 04-29-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Member #
    Liked
    2185 times
    Once again, here is the link to thank Governor Stitt and ask him to again oppose any over ride of the veto.
    https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...v%2Fcontact-us

Contact your legislator as well to let them know your feelings.
    Here is a link to help you find out who your legislator is so you can contact them.
    Oklahoma Legislature

Member #
    Liked
    2185 times
    Don't forget to contact Governor Stitt about SB-703. It's working its way through the legislature and will prohibit the ODW from purchasing any more WMA's without permission of the legislature.

http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInf...3&Session=1900

The ODW gets zero money from the legislature for operating money.
    The ODW is totally funded from license fees, investment fees from lifetime licenses, and Pittman Robertson rebates from the US government that comes from purchases of sporting equipment. Its a built in tax that comes right back to the wildlife department from the feds.
    The legislature doesn't have a clue what the Oklahoma sportsmen/women want. They are only looking at controlling the ODW. We can't let that happen.
    Sent Stitt and your legislator comments about why you oppose it.

Member #
    Liked
    886 times
    My email to my state Rep today.

Representative Sterling,

In an earlier communication, you stated that SB 566 was “ Not a perfect bill but one I feel much better about now.” Now that our Governor has vetoed this bill, please look at this bill again from the side of the everyday general public outdoors man or woman.

Hunting public ground is very difficult with the majority of hunting land in Oklahoma privately owned.
    Currently only 2.1% of the land mass in Oklahoma is available for public hunting, which allows only .2 acre of hunting land per registered hunter using current numbers. I feel that this bill is only going to help professional outfitters and hurt the general public when it comes to public hunting lands. And it is the general public that has funded the Wildlife Department with our tax monies on hunting and fishing related gear thru the Pittman Robertson Act.

As a lifelong outdoorsman in Oklahoma, I'm against allowing outfitters to use our public hunting grounds for private enterprise and profit. The same group of legislators that are backing this bill also presented SB 703 that was trying to stop the Oklahoma Wildlife Department from acquiring any further lands for public hunting. What I am seeing is an attack on the public lands by private outfitters that have driven up land prices, lease prices and will soon drive the cost of hunting so high that it will be a sport only the wealth can afford. Hunter numbers will decrease and as a result, so will tax revenue from the purchase of hunting equipment and licenses.

And as far as the NRA supporting this bill, they are not Oklahomans. They do not understand that our hunting lands are not like Colorado or Wyoming where hundreds of thousands of acres can be shared. Our public lands are a lot smaller and a professional outfitter will stake out all of the prime hunting spots for their clients driving out the general public hunters. Plus, the professional guide services already have their leases and private property to utilize for their clients. Please leave some good hunting grounds for those that cannot afford a guide service or lease or have access to private grounds. This bill only benefits the professional guide services and their clients and does not include anything that would benefit the general public and general outdoors men and women.

So if you are supporting this bill, then I am left to assume that you are more in favor of the professional guide serveries than the many general public outdoors men and women.
    dennishoddy likes this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    886 times
    Danny Sterlings reply to my letter!!!

Terry,

First of all, thank you for reaching out, again, with your input and information. I appreciate the detailed information. After reviewing what you have provided to me I tend to lean more in the direction of your thoughts and opinion in reference to this bill. I am not so closed minded that I cannot rethink a previous vote or decision I have made. I take great pride in trying to stay connected with my constituents and valuing the areas of where they have more expertise than I. This is one of those times that I believe you have a sound argument and I have no intention of trying to override this veto, if it comes back to the floor for a vote. Truthfully, I usually feel at ease with almost all of my votes, but this is one of about a half dozen that I struggled with when we voted on it. Please be mindful that we have as many as 30 – 40 bills to vote in one day many times and it is often difficult to be able research each bill to the level that I would desire in making a decision. Coupled with that, is all the input, both pro and con, that I have to process and evaluate.

So again, thank you for the email and for providing me information that was very helpful.

Respectully,

Rep. Danny Sterling
    dennishoddy likes this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast