Attention Sportsmen! SB 566 affects YOUR public lands!

This is a discussion on Attention Sportsmen! SB 566 affects YOUR public lands! within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; I would encourage each of you to educate yourself on some of the bills before the legislature this year involving Oklahoma's WMA's and the Oklahoma ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Attention Sportsmen! SB 566 affects YOUR public lands!

Member #
    Liked
    210 times

I would encourage each of you to educate yourself on some of the bills before the legislature this year involving Oklahoma's WMA's and the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation.

SB 566 proposes to open the WMA's to outfitters. ODWC has protected our public lands from commercial activity and now the legislature wants to open them up. In my opinion it will make it tougher for your average citizen hunter to enjoy their sport. I know it will detrimentally effect my upland bird hunting. Please call your State Senator and Representative and let them know to vote NO.

SB 703 proposes to prohibit the ODWC from purchasing or leasing additional lands. Many hunters I know rely upon the WMA system to provide them hunting opportunities. This will keep that from growing in the future. Again, I feel strongly that this would be a mistake and harmful to most Oklahoma hunters.

You can find contact info for your elected officials HERE. Talk to them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    I disagree with both measures. Keep outfitters off public lands, its a public resource not your place of business. I see no reason to limit the state's ability to obtain more land for public recreational opportunity. It's not like they are claiming eminent domain and confiscating it from people.
    Kelulu likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    210 times
    Here is a copy of the email I sent Casey Murdoch, one of the bills' sponsors, today.

Mr. Murdoch,

Hunting has been referred to as the sport of kings. In the past men of wealth and power were able to reserve for themselves access to game animals to the great loss of the population as a whole. The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation and the Oklahoma Legislature have previously recognized man's tendency to allow wealth and power to rob the common man of his access to hunting. Their acquisition of lands reserved for non-commercial hunting by the populace was forward thinking and has contributed greatly to the preservation of the sport in our great State. I'm also proud that it was accomplished without the use of eminent domain or tax dollars. SB 703 will rob future generations of having more such opportunities made available to them.

The egalitarian nature of hunting in Oklahoma is particularly true in regards to upland bird hunting. Any non-felon citizen in Oklahoma can purchase a shotgun, some shells and a hunting license then successfully pursue quail on publicly owned lands reasonably close to where they live. If they are particularly inclined they can obtain a dog provide some minimal training and then fully enjoy all aspects of the sport. This can be done without the necessity of expending large amounts money. This helps Oklahoma retain strong participation rates and encourages our young people to engage in lawful and productive activities in lieu of other, less beneficial, hobbies.

A substantial number of out-of-state bird hunters make use of Oklahoma's WMA system for an opportunity to add diversity to their chosen sport. Many of them come to my hometown, Beaver, and stay in our motels, eat in our restaurants and make purchases in our stores. Their money benefits decent hardworking citizens in your district directly. Those hunters can hunt bobwhite quail in Kansas or Nebraska on public lands without competing with outfitters and they will do so if SB 566 passes.

As a voting citizen in your district I am paying attention to how you vote. If you persist with your attempts to harm my community and state by passing these bills I will make certain that other voting citizens in your district are made aware of your decisions. I will actively encourage them to vote for your opponents in future elections.

/s
    ibokie, kwaynem and BobbyV like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Hope he reads your message.

Member #
    Liked
    2059 times
    Well written!
    I’ve been in contact with my legislators already on these bills.
    The wildlife dept is also opposed to the measures.
    Both smell of cronyism for self profit.
    kwaynem likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1718 times
    This only monopolizes public land for outfitters. They can come push all the game off to surrounding private lands (which happens already). They can hunt back and forth between the two if the lands are adjoining. I hate seeing game feeders placed 75-100y away from WMA boundary lines as well.
    The land belongs to the people and the people should have access to it. I agree in that this alienates the public and benefits the big outfitters and land grabbers. Something similar to his is being pushed in WY right now. That one would not allow any hunting on oil and gas easements. If passed its said to close off over 1.5 mil acres of public hunting. Its not even a bill endorsed by the oil and gas companies.
    dennishoddy likes this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    822 times
    So if a commercial hunting outfitter could use state lands for commerce, what's to stop them from doing some sort of business venture on state park lands? I'd think that it this passes it'd be headed to the State Supreme Court.
    kwaynem likes this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    2059 times
    Colorado allows outfitters on public land and it’s a nightmare on private hunters that hunt those outfitter areas.
    Each outfitter kind of “claims” a territory, and most other outfitters will stay out of it.
    A couple buddies got over the counter tags in Colorado, then went as far as they could by 4WD, then ATV and finally on foot as no motorized vehicles in that area.
    I guess some outfitter brought a trailer of horses and a half dozen clients into the area they were hunting. Then proceeded to ride all over the area they were hunting in going in deeper every morning and coming back every evening.
    Pretty much ruined their hunt, never seeing any elk.
    Fortunately for Ok it’s illegal currently to ride a horse during deer season on public lands.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    210 times
    SB 566 comes before the Senate today or tomorrow. If you haven't called your Senator to express your concerns you should do so.

Member #
    Liked
    822 times
    Have sent emails to my senators and spoke with Rep Stegall in the House, just in case it makes it to them.
    kwaynem and dennishoddy like this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast