Flooding in my neck of the woods. - Page 2

Flooding in my neck of the woods.

This is a discussion on Flooding in my neck of the woods. within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Went across the lake at Kaw City today and there is everything from coolers, Barbie play houses, a deep freezer, upside down john boats to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Flooding in my neck of the woods.

Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Went across the lake at Kaw City today and there is everything from coolers, Barbie play houses, a deep freezer, upside down john boats to drift wood islands several acres in size just floating along. What a treacherous mess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2185 times

Flooding in my neck of the woods.

Thought about unloading out there and going treasure hunting. Last big flood a few years back, I found an air tank in pretty good shape floating in the lake. Just like one of the blue ones you get at Walmart.
    With the increased discharge at the dam they are finally getting ahead of the inflow, but that is contributing to downstream flooding. My driveway is about a foot deep now in flowing water.
    If anyone other than Murf has been over the Sarge Creek bridge on Kaw Lake, this is what it looks like now.

Last edited by dennishoddy; 05-12-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    735 times
    Dam that’s a lot of water

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    I can't remember how long ago it was, but the lake got so high the waves would hit the rip rap and splash your car when driving across it. Kinda spooky.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    Thought about unloading out there and going treasure hunting. Last big flood a few years back, I found an air tank in pretty good shape floating in the lake. Just like one of the blue ones you get at Walmart.
    With the increased discharge at the dam they are finally getting ahead of the inflow, but that is contributing to downstream flooding. My driveway is about a foot deep now in flowing water.
    If anyone other than Murf has been over the Sarge Creek bridge on Kaw Lake, this is what it looks like now.

Will they let you on the lake when it gets like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by murphranch View Post
    Will they let you on the lake when it gets like this.

Yes. The only place is the pioneer boat ramp parking lot in Kaw City, or country roads if not full of trash.
    Kwayman, the camp ground below the dam is open. Water is close but not expected to get in there.

Some more pics.

First one is the road leading into Coon Creek cove campground. The tiny spot in the back is the roof of the attendants cabin where you go in.

The last two pics don’t do it justice to what the human eye can see. The boils below the gates are 10-15’ high. Amazing to watch the power of rushing water.
    kwaynem and Bird (this time) like this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Lots of energy and force moving there

Member #
    Liked
    1799 times
    Its amazing that fish can even swim much less stay put in water like that but the big cats are really taking the bait right now below the dams they say. I drove around Draper last night and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've seen it a good 6' higher. I'm betting Thunderbird isn't as bad off either.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    886 times
    Wasn't that long ago the drought had us wondering if the lakes were going to survive. Heard that Lake Altus had risen 66ft since all the rain has started.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    2185 times
    They are catching cats and snagging spoonbills at Kaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    kwaynem likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast