Burbank cemetary-odd story

This is a discussion on Burbank cemetary-odd story within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Dennis mentioned earlier about attending a funeral at the Burbank cemetery and it reminded me of a story of a man who worked at our ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Burbank cemetary-odd story

Member #
    Liked
    929 times

Dennis mentioned earlier about attending a funeral at the Burbank cemetery and it reminded me of a story of a man who worked at our ranch back in the thirties. We've been there several times to funeral and just looking and have never found a grave marker for him. Kinda odd. I hope you can make this article out enough to read it. If not let me know and I'll have the wife scan it.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    okbob and Bird (this time) like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    740 times
    Wow that’s crazy a lot of history around

Member #
    Liked
    2189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by murphranch View Post
    Dennis mentioned earlier about attending a funeral at the Burbank cemetery and it reminded me of a story of a man who worked at our ranch back in the thirties. We've been there several times to funeral and just looking and have never found a grave marker for him. Kinda odd. I hope you can make this article out enough to read it. If not let me know and I'll have the wife scan it.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    It's too small to read for me. I'm interested in the story though. I wanted to wander through the cemetery at Burbank because there are always tidbits that make one think about that person, but the pretty'r half was ready to eat some pizza.

Murf, you said something about not finding a Grave Marker for the guy.
    My wife's best friend growing up Dad died and was to be interred at a local cemetery in Southeastern Ok. South of Wagoner.

It was close to Zero degrees that day and the crowd was sparse. The preacher had a pint of whisky in his back pocket and if he lost his train of thought one more time and started saying hallelujah one more time, told my wife I was gonna punch him out. He finally stopped.
    The cemetery was waist high in grass. Back inside my wife's friend that has lost her dad asked me for some help. She asked me to get one of the rocks outside the door of the church. I followed her to her dads grave and put the rock there. We went back inside and the pastor registered that location. No stones on the cemetary, just rocks.
    Last edited by dennishoddy; 06-22-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    929 times
    Dennis itís about a guy who worked at our ranch in 1932. My dad was just 2 years old and his 3 aunts who never married ran the ranch moved to Lawerence Kansas to escape the Years of Fear-Osage Murders because they were over 3/4 blood headlight holders. Anyway they had a man who ran the ranch and he took the hired help to town. The guy ends up dying in the car in Shidler. After going through his stuff at the ranch Herman Schulz was actually Herman Strelow a German officer in their mounted cavalry. He had fled Germany and was living here in Oklahoma. They buried him in Burbank. Never have found marker and city has no listings of that name in 1932.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2189 times

Ok, I got it to blow up and read it.
    Interesting story. Seems he had been in trouble of some sort back in Germany before immigrating to the US. Must have not marked his grave?
    Iíve also read the book about the purging and murders of the Osage. Killers of the flower moon. Iím friends with the great grand daughter of one of the murdered men mentioned in the book. It was a rough time back then for the Osage tribe.
    I wonder if the Cemetery on Apperson road is the only Burbank cemetery? Canít say Iíve ever seen another one, but that thought came to mind.
    Last edited by dennishoddy; 06-23-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    892 times
    Great read if you like history, which I do. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage_Indian_murders
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    929 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird (this time) View Post
    Great read if you like history, which I do. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage_Indian_murders
    The Deaths of Sybil Bolton is a good one also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bird (this time) likes this.

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    740 times
    Do you remember when that happened bird?

Member #
    Liked
    892 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kwaynem View Post
    Do you remember when that happened bird?

Hushup ya dang whippersnapper and get off my lawn!!!!
    kwaynem and dennishoddy like this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    740 times
    Lmao!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast