Cooking Thread for those great recipes both with wild game and store bought stuff.

Cooking Thread for those great recipes both with wild game and store bought stuff.

This is a discussion on Cooking Thread for those great recipes both with wild game and store bought stuff. within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Post your cooking recipes in this thread. Pics would be appreciated if possible....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cooking Thread for those great recipes both with wild game and store bought stuff.

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times

Post your cooking recipes in this thread. Pics would be appreciated if possible.
    Bullbuster, kwaynem and Kicker like this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Its the time of year where most of us are clearing our freezers of last years game to make room for this years. At my house that means JERKY and SUMMER SAUSAGE!
    Hope too start sunday, any good ideas or new ways would be awesome. I have plenty to play with and what i dont like the neighbors can have haha.
    All yall good cooks chime in!

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    How do you make your sausage? Breakfast style you make patty’s with or tube sausage?

I use the natural casings like polish sausage.
    Use a mix of elk or deer with pork butt, untrimmed to add fat content in a 50/50 mix.
    I use one of the German sausage pre-mixes available from Waltons with high temp cheese in 1/4” chunks and fresh grated jalapeño for heat.
    Last batch was almost 30 lbs. too much of one flavor. I think smaller batches of different mix’s would be better.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Mostly tube with natural casings. Never thought about doing the porkbutt. I agree 30lbs might be to much haha

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Do you smoke yours or put it in the oven to get up to temp?

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    Don’t have the stick burner smoker any more. The Waltons website has been my mentor on this. We have a small electric smoker, but it’s just not big enough and the temps varied too much from top to bottom for even cooking. So I tried the Traeger pellet grill and had the same issue with never temps. The snack sticks dried out too much but the sausage turned out ok.
    One more reason to do smaller volumes unless one has a big smokehouse.
    My Uncle, long passed way built one from fire brick big enough to hang a side of beef easily and room to spare. The proper cooking process is key to good sausage.

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    I agree. I have the same issue your having with my stick burner i cant seem to keep the temp where i need it and end up finishing mine last year in the oven. Had one great batch and one gosh awful horrible. Was extremely thrilled with the flavor on either kind of bland even with the cayenne peppers. Where do you get your high temp cheese?

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    I get the cheese from Walton’s in Wichita Ks. We go that direction occasionally. Closer than OKC or Tulsa for us if we need big city shopping.
    They also have a website where it can be shipped to the buyer.

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    I need to do some diggin see where i can get it in tulsa i go that way for work a lot.

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    I use the German sasuage kit from Cabela's, you don't need to add anything just follow mixing instructions. I have tried a bunch of different recipes and the German is the best.
    dennishoddy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast