When in doubt get it checked out

This is a discussion on When in doubt get it checked out within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; So about a week ago I cut myself shaving in the shower. I was rushing and paid no attention to it as I’ve done it ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: When in doubt get it checked out

Member #
    Liked
    1922 times

So about a week ago I cut myself shaving in the shower. I was rushing and paid no attention to it as I’ve done it before and will do it again. Well about 3 days ago it started to turn sour on me. Wife kept telling me to go see the doc and get it checked out. I went hunting instead like any guy would do. Yesterday it was so red and swelled up and looking nasty I took myself to the ER. They stuck me, cut me, swabbed it all out, packed it with strips, did several lab tests and sent me home with a heavy dose of antibiotic to the rear cheek. Was no puss, just dark blood that came out.
    Woke up this morning feeling like I was hit in the face with a baseball bat. Went back to the ER as the pain, swelling and redness had spread. The bandage had also bled through. Ended up getting stuck more, actually given some serious pain meds this time and heavy antibiotics, swabbed and cleaned out again (pain meds be damned) that hurt like a SOB with a side of some other choice words. Had a CT with contrast and it showed the infection had spread to neck lymph nodes. They kept asking if I was sure it was a cut from shaving and not spider bite. It was all centralized where I’d cut myself so I assumed so still.
    Finally sent home with some at heavy hitting meds and if not better in 24 hours they want to send me to a doc in Cheyenne. Had to take the night off work as a result. I sit here on my couch feeling like trash and looking the part as well. So moral of the story here...we’re guys and don’t go see a doc unless the other half drags us or threatens us. Get yourself checked out as this could have been far worse and possible it could have gone way sour for me that it already has. Pics from yesterday before they cut me.

Name:  7FA04086-A965-461E-8DFD-34D28034E3A5.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  177.2 KB
    Name:  E64613A0-7529-46C7-BA88-48E70ADD2AF6.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  318.1 KB
    Last edited by Bullbuster; 10-12-2019 at 09:56 PM.
    dennishoddy, okbob and kwaynem like this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2489 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    So about a week ago I cut myself shaving in the shower. I was rushing and paid no attention to it as I’ve done it before and will do it again. Well about 3 days ago it started to turn sour on me. Wife kept telling me to go see the doc and get it checked out. I went hunting instead like any guy would do. Yesterday it was so red and swelled up and looking nasty I took myself to the ER. They stuck me, cut me, swabbed it all out, packed it with strips, did several lab tests and sent me home with a heavy dose of antibiotic to the rear cheek. Was no puss, just dark blood that came out.
    Woke up this morning feeling like I was hit in the face with a baseball bat. Went back to the ER as the pain, swelling and redness had spread. The bandage had also bled through. Ended up getting stuck more, actually given some serious pain meds this time and heavy antibiotics, swabbed and cleaned out again (pain meds be damned) that hurt like a SOB with a side of some other choice words. Had a CT with contrast and it showed the infection had spread to neck lymph nodes. They kept asking if I was sure it was a cut from shaving and not spider bite. It was all centralized where I’d cut myself so I assumed so still.
    Finally sent home with some at heavy hitting meds and if not better in 24 hours they want to send me to a doc in Cheyenne. Had to take the night off work as a result. I sit here on my couch feeling like trash and looking the part as well. So moral of the story here...we’re guys and don’t go see a doc unless the other half drags us or threatens us. Get yourself checked out as this could have been far worse and possible it could have gone way sour for me that it already has. Pics from yesterday before they cut me.

Name:  7FA04086-A965-461E-8DFD-34D28034E3A5.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  177.2 KB
    Name:  E64613A0-7529-46C7-BA88-48E70ADD2AF6.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  318.1 KB
    I hope your getting a handle on it. Not even going to guess what it could be. There are folks a whole lot smarter than me that are in charge of finding out your issues.
    I'm not the Macho Man when it comes to getting things done preventive wise or otherwise. I know so many guys that know something is wrong and put off going to the Doctor because they don't want to know what's wrong. Scared to know, and that's the wrong attitude.
    I had to go through a series of test a couple months ago because of some blood results had some markers for cancer, but after the Upper GI and Colonoscopy, everything was fine. Then the Vitamin K count went down and that's another marker. I was put on vitamin K pills all summer while in colorado and did blood work last week. Everything is just fine. Don't know what's causing the false reports, but going to be proactive in finding out what's going on.

My son that lives in Dallas was helping work on a pickup and scraped his arm pretty badly on some sharp sheet metal. His infection went septic and could have lost his arm. This stuff isn't a joke.
    Bullbuster and kwaynem like this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    860 times
    Dang glad you went when you did. Stay vigilant with it. Infection is a bad thing, and your chances of getting more infection with trips to the doc are high even. Does look like a spider bite in the pic.
    Bullbuster and kwaynem like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1922 times
    I hate going to the docs and have pushed my limits a few times with injuries and illnesses. I’m not the young buck I used to be no matter how hard I try. We must put the macho man aside and do what’s we know really needs to be done before it’s too late.

After writing that OP and falling back asleep I woke up in a sweat. Took a shower and let hot water run on it for awhile. Gave it a little squeeze afterwards and it busted open but with lots of junk coming out. Called the ER and they said to leave it alone of course but that it’s OK to have some puss as the body is fighting it off. The pains gone way down and the redness seems to be as well so that’s good. As much as I hate to do it I may follow the wife’s advice and call in another sick day just to give myself more rest time.

On a more humorous note when I was in the ER yesterday a guy in a bed next to me sat on a cactus while out hunting the day before and was having busted cactus barbs pulled from his backside. Lots of small cactus around here.

Name:  5ABED6F3-E6C0-4D10-A409-881A589FF537.jpeg
Views: 42
Size:  287.6 KB
    Last edited by Bullbuster; 10-13-2019 at 04:43 AM.
    okbob and dennishoddy like this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    860 times
    Pus is good, dead wbc and bacteria and serum, your body fighting it. It almost sounds like a boil too.
    dennishoddy and kwaynem like this.

Tracker
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Prayin a quick recovery for you from whatever it may be.
    Bullbuster likes this.

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    814 times
    Get better Bullbuster I agree with okbob pus is good
    Bullbuster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1020 times
    Get that lil stuff that you know isn't just a skeeter bite checked out. I got lucky and only had to get this instead of this and chemo.
    Name:  IMG_20190930_092655605.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  1.15 MB
    Bullbuster and dennishoddy like this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Tracker
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Bird
    That looks like a mean battle wound

Member #
    Liked
    1922 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird (this time) View Post
    Get that lil stuff that you know isn't just a skeeter bite checked out. I got lucky and only had to get this instead of this and chemo.
    Name:  IMG_20190930_092655605.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  1.15 MB
    The dime size hole in the side of my face ain’t nothing compared to that one Bird. Glad you are feeling better as well.
    Not taking any pain meds today so I can go back to work tonight. I think I’ll write “Don’t ask” on the bandage so I don’t have to deal with Q&A all night.
    Bird (this time) likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast