Deer and Waterfowl Season changes

This is a discussion on Deer and Waterfowl Season changes within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; The Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission passed additional doe hunting opportunities for the upcoming deer hunting seasons. [THE OKLAHOMAN ARCHIVES] Hunters will get more opportunities to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Deer and Waterfowl Season changes

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

The Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission passed additional doe hunting opportunities for the upcoming deer hunting seasons. [THE OKLAHOMAN ARCHIVES]

Hunters will get more opportunities to harvest antlerless deer in the upcoming season and duck seasons now will be the same for most of the state under rules passed Monday by the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission.

The commission voted to double the anterless bag limit during the muzzleloader and deer gun seasons in all parts of the state except the Panhandle and southeast Oklahoma.

The antlerless bag limit will remain at one in the Panhandle (deer hunting zone one) and southeast Oklahoma (deer hunting zone 10) but those zones will receive additional antlerless hunting days.

In the rest of the state, the antlerless bag limit will be increased from one to two in some deer hunting zones and from two to four in others. The bag limit also will increase from one to two for most of the state during the special holiday antlerless season, which also will be lengthened from 10 to 14 days.

State wildlife officials want to increase the antlerless harvest for better deer herd management. Does or antlerless deer represent only 36% of the total deer harvest during hunting seasons, down 5 to 6% from 2014.

"We definitely would like to see that percentage increased," said Bill Dinkines, head of the wildlife division for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation.

The commission also voted to make the waterfowl season dates the same for duck hunting zones one and two, which covers the entire state except for the Panhandle. The split during the waterfowl season also will be reduced to just five days from the current 12 days. The duck hunting season will start as late as allowed by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

The commission also approved two additional waterfowl hunting days just for military veterans and active military personnel. Those dates will be the same as the youth waterfowl hunting dates.
    U.S. ARMY (Retired)
    I love to hunt and fish and most of all spending time with my family after I get home from hunting and fishing.

Founder of the Wichita Mountain Waterfowlers established 2012.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    967 times
    Where did u get this info? I got an email from wildlife dept today but it doesn’t say anything about limit going from 2 to 4. Also, it’s a waste of time if they don’t up the total limit from 6. I don’t think anymore does will get shot. All I want is my 3 bucks back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MSGT. LEO/NRA/HHI/NAHC/BM/OLEFI/Firearms Instructor
    #1 ELK in the State of Oklahoma 2000-2016

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    The Oklahoman Newspaper
    U.S. ARMY (Retired)
    I love to hunt and fish and most of all spending time with my family after I get home from hunting and fishing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1012 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    Where did u get this info? I got an email from wildlife dept today but it doesn’t say anything about limit going from 2 to 4. Also, it’s a waste of time if they don’t up the total limit from 6. I don’t think anymore does will get shot. All I want is my 3 bucks back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll see a one buck limit long before it will ever go back to three. So in reality the season limit will be 8 deer now, 6 in the regular limit, no more than two bucks, and 2 bonus Holiday deer.
    kwaynem, dennishoddy and baby like this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    1 wouldn't mind a 1 buck limit. That way there will be more chances to harvest a mature buck or Oklahoma could do like Missouri have a point restriction where the buck must have 4 points on one rack.
    okbob likes this.
    U.S. ARMY (Retired)

Member #
    Liked
    1384 times
    I do believe (I don't like it, but...) that you won't see an increase in doe harvest unless they implement take a doe before you can take a buck rule.
    jacinda, baby, kwaynem and 2 others like this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    3168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird (this time) View Post
    I do believe (I don't like it, but...) that you won't see an increase in doe harvest unless they implement take a doe before you can take a buck rule.
    I agree. Too many folks are only interested in a set of antlers. They give the meat away and their season is done.
    My advice is to look around your community and see if there is elderly or infermed that may love to have a deer for their freezer.
    Find a processor that they will be happy with, drop off the doe and your done.
    I give away a minimum of 4 does a year doing that. Our buck to doe ratio is so skewed that we are overran with does.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Smoke,
    I got the news letter today from the Wildlife Department and it said the same thing of what I posted earlier.

Groendyke Transport Inc. of Enid donated a 2013 Mack Trucks semi-tractor to the Wildlife Department's Fisheries Division. Gathered for the presentation are, from left, Chas Patterson, Northwest Region Fisheries Supervisor; Colby Rowe, heavy equipment operator; John D. Groendyke, CEO of Groendyke Transport Inc.; and Barry Bolton, Fisheries Chief. (ODWC Photo)
    Wildlife Commission Approves Changes for Antlerless Deer, Waterfowl Hunting
    Deer hunters will have more opportunities to harvest antlerless deer this fall, and waterfowlers will have more hunting days in the middle of the season, after the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission approved two resolutions in its regular meeting May 4.
    The Commission’s first-ever virtual meeting, to comply with social distancing guidelines related to the COVID-19 pandemic, was held via videoconference and streamed for public viewing on the Internet.
    With antlerless deer harvest trending downward the past few years, biologists with the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation who manage the state’s deer herd urged more liberal bag limits and more open days for antlerless harvest, as specified in the approved resolution.
    While muzzleloader and rifle season antlerless bag limits will increase in most zones, the total combined deer bag limit for each hunter will not change. All deer taken during muzzleloader and rifle seasons count toward a hunter’s combined season limit of six deer. Antlered deer limits remain unchanged.
    Chief of Wildlife Bill Dinkines told Commissioners that antlerless harvest as a percentage of total deer harvest has decreased from 42 percent in 2014 to 36 percent in 2018.
    The new regulations affect antlerless harvest in all 10 of the state’s antlerless deer management zones. Additionally, the holiday antlerless deer season will increase from 10 to 14 days with the bag limit increasing to two, which are considered bonus deer and do not count toward a hunter’s regular season limit of six deer.
    To promote antlerless deer harvest, a public information campaign will begin, said Nels Rodefeld, Chief of Information and Education for the Department. It will be similar to the successful “Hunters in the Know … Take a Doe!” campaign from 2001-06. The Department will also look into other ways to increase antlerless deer harvest.
    Waterfowl seasons will be different this year. The midseason split will be reduced from 12 days to five days, which will allow opening day to fall later on the calendar than usual. Also, Zones 1 and 2 will have the same dates: Nov. 14-29, and Dec. 5-Jan. 31, 2021. Two youth-only hunting days will occur Nov. 7 and Feb. 6, 2021, but now will also welcome active and veteran military members to hunt those days.
    Also during Monday’s meeting, Commissioners accepted two large donations. Quail Forever chapters in Oklahoma donated a total of $10,172.50 to fund habitat improvement equipment and activities at several Wildlife Management Areas. Laura McIver, QF regional representative, told Commissioners these donations, when coupled with matching federal funds, will provide more than $44,000 for wildlife habitat work to benefit quail and other wildlife.
    Barry Bolton, Chief of Fisheries, recognized Groendyke Transport Inc. and its chief executive, outgoing Commissioner John D. Groendyke of Enid, for donating a 2013 Mack Trucks semi-tractor to replace one the Department has used for 22 years. Northwest Region Fisheries Supervisor Chas Patterson thanked Groendyke for the generous donation and said the tractor will be invaluable in moving heavy equipment throughout his region and the state.
    Donations from conservation partners such as Quail Forever and from concerned individuals are invaluable in helping the Department manage and protect fish and wildlife, along with habitat, while growing our community of hunters and anglers, partnering with those who love the outdoors, and fostering stewardship with those who care for the land.
    The Wildlife Department doesn’t receive any general state tax appropriations. License sales and federal grant revenues are the main funding sources. Every license dollar spent by sportsmen in Oklahoma is used to fund ODWC's user-pay/public-benefit conservation efforts.
    In other business, Commissioners:
    • Heard Director J.D. Strong’s regular report on Department activities. He said hunting and fishing license sales are holding steady overall since the COVID-19 outbreak.
    • Approved hiring a full-time coordinator for boating access and shooting range projects, which will take advantage of increased federal funding available for those purposes.
    To view a recording of the meeting, go to https://youtu.be/1VnEjVBmsuM.
    The Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission is the eight-member governing board of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. The Commission establishes state hunting and fishing regulations, sets policy for the Wildlife Department and indirectly oversees all state fish and wildlife conservation activities. Commission members are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Oklahoma Senate.
    The next scheduled Commission meeting is set for 9 a.m. Monday, June 1, 2020, at Wildlife Department headquarters, 1801 N. Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City.
    Last edited by baby; 05-07-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    dennishoddy likes this.
    U.S. ARMY (Retired)

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    348 times
    Not sure i get how this will help increase does taken if our limit dont increase

Member #
    Liked
    3168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Sits In The Woods View Post
    Not sure i get how this will help increase does taken if our limit dont increase
    It increases in some zones and stays the same in other zones, but all zones are getting more days to hunt does. The holiday season now has a limit of two does vs one in the past and that doesn't count against your state limit during regular seasons.
    SE Ok has never had doe days at all. Now they get one doe per season.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast